Chapter Nine

Nine – Lisa

“Hello, Molly,” I said, gently, “My name’s Lisa. I’m going to take you home with me, until we find where your parents are,” She sniffed and smiled sweetly. She looked so cute and innocent. I beamed at her cuteness and wondered how her parents could have ever left her. I took her hand in my left hand and pushed the trolley with my right. I walked her to the car. I opened the back right door to my car and helped her get in. I pulled the seat belt over her. “I’m just going to put these groceries into the boot and we’ll go to my house, okay?” She nodded and again smiled sweetly at me. I closed the door and quickly shoved the bags of groceries into the boot and slammed it shut. I hurriedly pushed the trolley to where all the others were and came back to the car. Getting in it, I started to drive back home. Molly and I talked a little, to get rid of the awkward silence.

                I glanced at her in the review mirror. I studied her clothes. Very 1900’s. She wore the same things to what she wore when I saw by the restaurant. I wondered how long she had been alone. Hugging her doll again, she asked, “Has my parents abandoned me?”

                My eyebrows creased. “No, Molly, I don’t think that they abandoned you.”

                “Where are they then?” she asked. She was scared and confused—just as I was when Mum abandoned me and Grandma died.

                “I didn’t wish to say this…” I realised that I was kind of talking like Jack, using ‘wish’ instead ‘want’. I continued, “your parents…um, they, uh, something could have happened to them…”

                “What?” she breathed, her eye tearing up again. “Are they…dead?”

                “No!” I cried, trying to make sure that she didn’t cry again, “No, um, they’re car could have broken down or something. They will come to get you. Do you know they’re phone number?”

                Her face suddenly lit up. “Yes!” She cried with excitement, “I do! I do!”

                “What is your sir name, Molly?” I asked, “I want to know that so I can politely talk to your parents.”

                “Parlotte.” She answered. “That is my last name.”

                “Thank you Molly,” I said smiling at her. She grinned back and I drove on. We didn’t talk for the rest of the trip.  Finally I drove up the driveway of my house and got out. I helped Molly out and led her into the house. I showed her into the living room and told her to sit down. “I’m just going to unload the groceries and I’ll ask you your phone number, okay?” she nodded and I did what I said. It was about fifteen minutes later when I quickly got the phone from the kitchen and came back into the living room. “Okay, Molly, what was your phone number?”

                She looked up thoughtfully, “Um….” She sat in this position for some time and I started to wonder whether or not she could even remember, then she finally blurted out a bunch of numbers. “9704 9342. Yes! That is my phone number!” she—once again—smiled sweetly and I, too, smiled back.           

                I tapped the numbers into the phone and went back into the kitchen, telling her to stay in the living room. I waited a few moments and then a woman’s voice answered. “Hello?”

                “Hi,” I greeted, “this is Lisa Ruah…”

                “Who?” she interrupted.