Chapter Seven

Seven – Jack

I glanced at Lisa. She was bitting her lip.

 “Sorry,” I muttered, “Perhaps a statement—such as the one I just made—should be spoken later in the relationship,” I hesitated. “One wishes you did not keep your silence. He likes it when his partner talks to him.”To my relief, I saw a smile spread across her perfect face.

 “That’s so sweet of you to say, Jack,” she said, her smile increasing. She moved her hand so that it was holding mine, tightly, “I love you too.”

                I smiled in return. “Now that you know one’s feelings for you, I must be a gentleman.”I saw confusion cross her happy expression.

 “What do you mean you must be a gentleman?”

                “In earlier years,” I explained, “one thinks that a man took a lady ‘out’ to dinner.”

                “Do you want to buy me dinner?” When I nodded, she said, “Do you have the money?”My half smile broadening into a full one.

 “Lots of it.”

                “And where did you get all this money?” she asked quickly looking at me and then back at the road.

                “One does not spend his money, unless necessary,” I said, staring down at her hand on mine. “It is necessary that one buys his partner dinner.”

                “You know,” she said briefly touching my forearm, “you don’t have to buy me this. I do have money.”

                “One is aware,” I murmured running my other hand through my hair, “but he still thinks that he must be a gentleman. No one can change his mind.”

                “Well, if you want to, I guess that’s fine,” she answered.  

                “One is appreciative,” I said, proud of myself for convincing her that I could buy dinner.

                She stopped at a small but very fancy building. We got out of the car once she had parked it and Lisa came up to me, entwining her arm with mine. We walked up to the building and she pushed open a large, glass door. There was a man in a light grey suit standing behind a small counter.

                He greeted us saying, “Hello, and welcome to our restaurant!”

                “Greetings,” I said staring at the man.

                “Um…greetings to you too, sir,” he said, awkwardly. I could feel that Lisa was trying not to laugh. I did not understand why. The man in the suit said, “Table for two then?”

“That is correct,” I replied glancing at Lisa. She was smiling, putting a few fingers in front of her mouth, obviously still trying not to laugh.

                “This way,” he invited, walking from the counter towards a small table next to a window. As we followed him, Lisa briefly placing her head on my shoulder. When we reached the table and sat down, he said, “Can I start you off with some drinks?”I shook my head and looked at Lisa.

 “Um…do you have any Merlo?”

                “Yes we do, ma’am,” he said formally.

                “Okay, then I will have that,” she decided, glancing at me.

                “Right away, ma’am.”  He walked away to get Lisa what she wanted. She looked at me.