Bad News (Edgeworth side)

I'm Prime.

Oh dear.

I...was somehow expecting this.

As a prosecutor, I'm a busy man. All this had slowly drifted to the back of my mind where it remained until it was stirred today.

My thoughts were of other things, but I admit there was always a strong feeling of doubt tugging at me. A feeling of doubt and fear.

I cannot remember why I got myself into this; the reason escapes me. It's curious; I find myself in a dangerous situation, unable to go back because of a past whim, a stupid desire to prove I was strong and useful everywhere, and not only in court.

Ah, here comes regret.

But there's no turning back now.

I have to keep myself sane, calm. Fight the shock. Fight it–

What am I going to do ? What am I going to do ? What am I going to do ? What ?!

Nothing at all. I cannot get myself out of this.

What am I going to do ?

Why, I'm going to win.

I have no other choice.

I'll do whatever it takes to get to the end of the nightmare they named the Long Walk.

I have always been strong, calm, collected. I have to keep myself under control, I cannot afford to lose my mind before it's even started.

I don't like to admit it. No, I hate to admit it. It's something I despise. But there's no lying to myself, not anymore.

I'm scared.

I don't want...to trip and die. I cannot believe it's come down to this.

Shock is bringing all the bad ends to mind. They like to shock us, shock the Walkers, sweep them off their feet and into hell. I may die. I will lose everything, I will be forgotten.

Soon, all too soon, no one'll remember Miles Edgeworth, only the man with a number who was given his ticket, his whole body ruined by hardship.

I...cannot afford to lose.

What am I going to do ?

The phone clattered to the ground, having slipped from his hand. He was suddenly aware of how sweaty they had become. There was a nervous swallow, a few steps taken back. He collapsed into an armchair without bothering to hang up the phone properly. His forearms were trembling, his whole body shaken by violent spasms. His eyes refused to focus on one place only, and darted around in a mad manor. He coughed, rested his head in his shaking hands. Breathing in sharply, he sat up again, trying to get a grip on himself. Silvery dark bangs were flicked away as his grey orbs scanned the room. He wasn't aware he was crying until he felt small drops drip down onto his lap, slowly, ever so gently. He shook his head, wiped the tears away. No. He couldn't allow them to break him before the nightmare began. No. He would fight, fight for his life. He would not die.

He would not die.

[I know these two first parts were short but they were necessary hnngh I promise the plot'll properly start in the next part]