It's Okay I Liked Staring at You

14 Years Later

Iris's POV

"Bye Lay, I'm going to miss you so much!" I cried. I'm finally leaving, don't get me wrong I love it here but I hate it here. I'm going to The University of Colorado( if that's a thing). I still don't know what I want to do with my life, I just wanted to get away from here.

"I'm going to miss you so much, I." Layla said. Layla is my long time best friend, she is not going with me she is staying here in Illinois. We've been best friends ever since I was nine years old. She is from South America and moved here to America when she was five.

< Flash Back >

My teacher, Mrs. Glass, came in with a girl following behind her. She had black hair and dark olive skin. She had on a black t-shirt that said 'everyone tells me to follow my dreams so I'm going back to bed.' I'm surprised that she didn't get in trouble, our principal is mean. Once, she expelled a kid for farting excessively in her office.

"Class we have a new student", Mrs. Glass announced. "what's your name?" Mrs.Glass asked.

"My name Layla Anna Perez" She said with an unfamiliar accent.

"Hi," My class and I said simultaneously.

"Tell us about yourself" My teacher proposed. Layla thought for a moment.

After a few seconds, She then spoke. "I was born in South America," She started. "I forgot where though" Layla muttered as she put her hand on her chin in thought.
"Any que-" Mrs. Glass started.

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT WHERE I WAS BORN!" Layla screamed out interrupting Mrs.Glass. I giggled at her and she smiled back at me.

My teacher sighed slowly (like she expected it) muttering to herself then continued asking "Any questions for Layla?".

I was really curious about her so I raised my hand and my class gasped whispering to each other and Layla just looked confused. I was a quiet person, I never really spoke in class or at all. When I was seven, something happened to me but I don't remember. I know when I came to I was in the hospital and I had bruises. I didn't remember anything but fries. I had to relearn how to talk, and I got held back. 

"Yes Iris" My teacher answered me looking surprised that I wanted to answer a question.

I opened my mouth to speak but someone interrupted me.

"Oh look mute girl decides to speak"

"Astrid" Mrs.Glass scolded Astrid.

Astrid used to be my friend. My mom and her mom were friends, so we would always hang out as kids. Then when I asked Astrid why she stopped talking to me she said she was better and prettier than me, so she ditched me. I didn't really care at the time because I didn't understand it. Now all she does is make fun of me, she needs a life.

"Ummm...well I was wondering if erm you like fries?" I stammered quietly.

My teacher didn't hear me but Layla did.

"Yes of course I do, But I like donuts more." She smiled.

"Why don't you sit next to Iris, you seem to get along with her well." She acknowledged.

"Who's Iris?" She questioned.

I giggled and rose my hand.

She looked at me, then walked to the seat beside me and sat down.