Chapter 3: Things Better Left Unspoken

"Where are we?" Lauren asked as they passed by another tree. And another, and another. She was riding shotgun with Shawn the one now driving while the others are resting at the back. They were doing the routine by shifts.

"Where going to the hideout." He simply said, not taking his eyes off the road. Lauren tilted her head to the side. "Hideout?" She saw his lips perk up a bit as he tried to hold in his amusement.

"I'm just messing with you. We're actually going to an old shack me and Camila found when we were hiking." At the mention of her best friend's name, her chest tightened and her face sported a frown.

"Oh." was all that she said. After a few moments of silence, she decided to ask another question.

"Why are we going there? An old shack won't do us much in an apocalypse." she stated bitterly. Shawn kept driving, eyes still on the road. He didn't respond for a few moments until he sighed in surrender.

"After me and the guys found out about the possible disease outbreak last week, we decided to stack up on supplies." he said. "And we might also have kept a couple of guns.." he added weakly, knowing how the older girl responds to firearms.

"Why do we need guns? It's the apocalypse, not a war." 

Shawn shifted uncomfortably in his seat, not liking the interrogation the girl is giving her but knowing full well that he needs to have this talk with her. He took in a deep breath and gathered up the courage needed to have this talk.

"You see, this isn't just an apocalypse. This is a zombie outbreak. People, infected people, are gonna eat anything that is alive. The disease triggers a part of the brain that makes the person more aggressive and violent. It also makes them crave for meat, raw meat. So scientists settled to call it a zombie apocalypse to give the public an insight of what they're gonna go through." he supplied. "What we are gonna go through." he said in a voice that screams terror and fear.

Lauren looked at him with a blank expression, not believing a single word he just said. When Shawn took note of the silence, he sighed in defeat.

"I'll explain the rest later when we arrive." he simply said. There's no point in convincing the older girl unless she sees it actually happen. Although she has already seen it back at the hotel, her mind kept telling her it wasn't real. That it was just a figment of her imagination.

But it was as real as it could get.

The ride continued with a somewhat uncomfortable silence, especially for Shawn. Ever since he has been friends with Camila, he's always been getting sharp glares from Lauren. Whenever he would simply treat Camila out for helping him with something, the girl is quick to steal her. For as long as he is with Camila, Lauren is always with them. The only time he actually got to spend some time alone with Camila was when they bumped into each other by a park late at night. Shawn was having girl problems while Camila was stressing out on her feelings with her best friend. They decided to take a quick hike in the woods but it actually ended up being a long one. Shawn shared his struggles while Camila intently listened to him, also giving him some advice. She might not had any relationship in the past but she sure does give good advice. Though she might not take her own into account.. They eventually found an abandoned shack and decided to check it out.

The vehicle came to a gentle stop as Shawn parked it in front of a mediocre-sized wooden shack, dusty and whatnot. "We're here." he said to her shift partner. "I'll call the others." the girl said as she unbuckled her seatbelt.

The group entered the shack cautiously, Shawn leading the way. He turned on the flashlight on his hand, the others following his example.

Ally sneezed as her nose got tickled by the dust particles. "It's really dusty."