Chapter 2

My heart sinks as soon as the words hit my ears.

"I cheated on you."

Like a hundred knives stabbing into my chest at once. How could he do this to me? After being together for so long and all the things we've been through. A million questions running through my mind.

"Why? Why Jacob?" I scream into the phone, forgetting I'm outside where everyone can hear me but not really caring at this point.

"It's not like you're ever gonna come back." He ignores my question.

"That's not what I fucking asked you." I yell even louder. I actually surprise myself with reaction. Usually I'm pretty good at holding in my anger but this was too much.

"It's just been so long since we've, you know..." He trails off not wanting to complete his pathetic sentence.

"Just tell me who? I want to know who." I feel tears brim on my eyes as I try and fail to hold back all the emotions built up inside of me.

"Maddie it's not-"

"Just tell me, please." I interrupt him as I wipe my wet stained cheek.

"Brittany..."

"Like my best friend, Brittany." The words tasting like poison coming out of my mouth.

"I'm sorry."

And just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, it does. Like waves crashing at the shore. The tide sweeps in and knocks you off your feet. Making you drowned at sea.

If you would have told me a year ago that all this would be unfolding like it is right now, I would have laughed in your face and called you ridiculous.

This isn't supposed to be my life. I'm supposed to be back home, with my sweet boyfriend, hanging out with my best friend, ready to experience college and start families. It's like my perfect world is being ripped out from under me and there's nothing I can do about it but watch in agony as everything I love is taken away.

I don't have the strength to face my brother or parents right now so I hang up the phone and sit down on my front steps. Letting the tears fall endlessly.

"Are you okay?" I hear a strange but familiar voice that I can't place.

"Why do you care?" I snap at whoever asked. My head in my hands as I continue to let it all out.

"I don't. But you were loud enough to wake me and everyone else in a 10 mile radius up so I figured I would see what the hell was so important that someone is screaming outside at 2 in the morning." I look up and see that its the same guy that saved me from those jackasses on the way to the library.

"I'm sorry." I apologize. My face turning red from embarrassment. I didn't realize quite how disruptive I was being.

"Hey, you're the girl from earlier." His face flashes with recognition.

I just nod, feeling too awkward to think of a response.

"So are you gonna tell me why you're outside screaming in the middle of the night?" He walks over and sits down beside me.

"My boyf- I mean ex boyfriend just informed me that he cheated on me with my best friend." I hesitate a little before finally explaining.

"Wow." He says after a long pause.

"On top of being forced to move across the fucking world to this hell hole." I start to rant.

"Hey, Australia is amazing." He says defensively, and for a split second, I see his face soften into an almost smile.

"Yeah, well not to me." I say in an almost whiney voice.

"Maybe you just haven't gave it a chance." He looks me straight in the eye and we both just stare at each other until it got uncomfortable.

"Maybe."

"So, Miss. American, open your eyes, your mind, and then maybe you'll see how amazing this place can be. "

"That's not my name." I scold him, knowing damn well he already forgot it.

"I know. But I think I like it better than maddie." He winks as he gets up from my step, leaving me sitting there speechless as he walks away.

Something in me wanted to call out to him and ask him to stay. I didn't want the conversation to end just yet. I wanted to talk to him more, get to know him more.

But I stayed silent, and watched him walk away into the darkness. Wondering if and when I'll ever get to see him again.