Chapter 3

Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either (Albert Einstein)

Three weeks past since I started to work for Paul. The first days were exhausting but I got used to that working pace. I started to work 8 hours a day, 7 times a week. Which allowed me to rent a little house in Idlewild It was neither huge nor small. As I wasn't going back to Nashville, I had to find my own place. Adam helped me so much. I owe him a lot actually.

Nothing really changed besides this. Paul didn't change. He is always weird but funny. However we got a litlle bit closer. I think he felt I was trustworthy.

Today is going to be a very long day. Paul will not be with me at the café. He asked me to stay from the opening through the end of the day.
It was 7 am. I had to clean and store everything before the opening at 9 am. Hopefully the place wasn't in its worst condition. I started to remove the chairs from the tables. I swept the floor and when I though I was done with cleaning, I realized Paul didn't clean the dishes from yesterday.

When I finished it was 8.45 am. I had 15 minutes left before the Monday morning coffee rush starts.
Monday is the day were people need to recharge their batteries, Paul told me once.
I turned the "open" sign on the front door. Only 10 minutes past 9am and the first client shows up. Then ensued an endless queue.
From 9am to 2pm I kept running from the counter to the "bar" to tables that needed to be served. As usuall I took advantage of the absence of client to take a break. And the rush continued from 4pm to closing time. Then Adam arrived and helped me finish cleaning

    - You look exhausted!
    - You don't look so bad yourself !
    - Thanks, there is nothing better than lack of sleep and tiring working day to get heathy glow!
    - Selena Gomez swears only by this cure!
We started to laught.
    - What do you think about getting some food?
I realized I haven't ate all day. I was starving actually
    - Yes I would die for a burger !
    - Mmhh imagine you are biting it and the sauce is flowing out!
    - If you do that once again I kill you and I leave you for dead !
    - Okay, I won't do it again ! You are scaring me actually !
I looked daggers at him. He started to laught once again.

I took my things, locked the shop and we headed to the closest McDonald's. We took on our order and took a place.
I was totally drooling over my meal. I was so overwhelmed by the desire this burger made me feel, that I forgot Adam's presence. When I looked back to him, he was staring at me, wonderingh what I was doing.

    - I am sorry but you are so weird!
    - Don't judge me, I told you I was starving, I wasn't lying.
    - Well you have a funny way to satiate your hunger.
    - I was preparing myself to eat it. It was a psychological preparation.
    - Why would you prepare yourself to eat !?
    - Okay.. The first bite is the most important one. You can taste every single flavor More you eat, less you feel joys of eating. It is scientificly proved !
    - Well i still don't understand but I trust you ! With these words said, you can now enjoy your meal!

We were eating when a question went through my mind.

    - Can I ask you something?
He looked at me meaning to do so.
    - How did you met Paul? I mean he is not your age ..
    - Paul was a good friend of my grandfather. They met in the navy. After he died, Paul was always here for me. He is quiet like my second grandpa.
    - I understand.. He seems to be someone really strong.
    - Yes he is. He doesn't have family except me but he doesn't give up his life.
    - Yeah, he told me about his wife..
    - It wasn't easy for him.. He lost his only son and his stepdaughter in a tragic event, so losing his wife was the straw that broke the camel's back.
    - I didn't know for his son.. Do you know what happened?
    - No, he never told me... My grandfather explained me but he didn't had time to finish...
    - I am sorry..

I understand now why Paul was so cold with me. After everything he endured I don't know how he can still stay on track.

After eating Adam asked me if he could walk me home as it was almost midnight and we were in Memphis streets.
We kept talking on the way home, but felt that Adam wasn't hundred per cent with me.
    - I can feel something isn't alright Adam
    - I'm Alright
    - Sure?
    - Well, actually there is something I wanted to tell you..
    - Go for it!
    - I know it's complicated for you to trust people but we know each other quiet a bit now. And I really like spending time with you. I really like you..
As he finished his sentence, he caught me and kissed me. I was enjoying it for a second but then I realized I couldn't do that.
    - Adam i like you too but , I can't..
    - I don't understand!
    - That's the point ! You can't understand what's going on ! I'm sorry I can't .
    - Why can't you talk with me !
    - Adam i can't..
    - I can't see myself as your friend Abi.
He stared at me seeking compassion. Realizing I wouldn't give him what he was waiting for; He turned back. I didn't understand what happened... I watched him get away...