Chapter one

Sighing dejectedly I glared at the two small capsules in my hand as if my hatred for the troches would cause them to melt away, and I'd have an excuse to not take them that day.

They never worked anyways all they succeeded in doing was making me groggy and lethargic. Rolling my eyes and thinking fuck it, I grabbed a water from my table and just as fast they had appeared they were gone.

If only my problems could disappear that easily, with just the slight of a hand. But life doesn't work that way sadly. It does everything in its power to push you down then judges you and laughs in your face when you can't get back up on your own.

My alarm sounded, jumping me out of my thoughts. Its 6 already? I thought with a slight frown. Deciding to try and start this day off right, I grabbed my purse and threw a smile on my face. What an optimist I thought sarcastically.

I rushed out the door, fast walking out of my small apartment before frantically trying to hail a taxi. I did not want to be late for work-again. It wasn't that I woke up late, because it'd be a miracle if I could actually sleep that much. I always woke up at least an hour before my alarm.

It's just my mind has a problem with consuming thoughts and time, and before I'd know it my last alarm would sound and I'd have to rush out the door to get to work.

Hence my current situation. So far my boss has been pretty lenient with me due to his knowledge of my "conditions," but lines can only be stretched so far. I've gotten pulled into his office considerably more than usual due to my tardiness and clumsiness.

Actually the only reason he probably hasn't fired me yet is because of my compliance to work hard. I do try, I just have horrible luck. I'm such a klutz that most of my employers send me off within 3-4 weeks. In fact this is the longest I've ever lasted at a job.

It's been almost 3 months which doesn't seem that long, but when you have luck like mine, it definitely seems like a miracle.

The taxi stopped abruptly and I let out a small sigh as the clock said only 6:24, my shift starts at 6:30. Handing the plump freckled man a $20 I flashed him a smile before high tailing out of there.

"CARABEAR," a high pitched shriek sounded right next to my ear before my entire body was crushed by my 120 pound best friend. "Soph I-I ca-can't breathe," I managed to stutter out trying to pry her tight grip off me.

She laughed before untangling herself from me. "Wimp," she bubbled out whilst punching my arm. "Ow c'mon man it's been what 2 minutes and you managed to completely wreck my hearing, break every bone in my body, and bruise my arm," I barked out playfully trying to hide the smile that was threatening to appear. I turned away with a huff and saw her smiling out of the corner of my eye.

I'd met Sophie through this job and she was one of few people in this world that I could actually stand. I've never been the best at making friends but Sophie was different than anyone else that I'd ever met. She was honest and kind to everyone she met which is rare in a world like this, especially in upstate New York.

That's another reason I couldn't bear to lose this job, in fear that I would lose one of only friends I've ever had.

"You're doing it again," she muttered scornfully at me. "Huh?" I murmured surprised. Had she been talking? "You know that thing where your mind wanders away and you don't give me the attention I deserve," she pouted out at me. I rolled my eyes at her before laughing and hooking my arm in hers. "Okay princess Sophie I'm listening, now what were you saying."

I watched with slight amusement as she turned her head up and continued her story about our co-worker Linda who managed to get pregnant yet again after she had just recently popped out her third child. I feigned shock at her words but could honestly care less, gossip bored me but it brought some sort of normalcy to my life and it seemed to interest Sophie so I never complained.