Epilogue

From the behind the hidden side of the one-way mirror, they watched him. He was lying face-up on a cot, eyes closed, breath even. Wires and electrodes were hooked up to him, connecting him to machines that measured his heart rate and blood pressure, among other things. There was an IV and a catheter that had tubes extending from him.

His face, handsome, if a little rugged, was covered in bruises and miniscule cuts. He'd dislocated his shoulder and fractured a bone in his foot. There was also the matter of the gunshot wounds he'd sustained, one each to his leg, hip, and abdomen. The man, though he was only surely just exiting his teens, looked to be a complete mess.

But the real damage was unseen to the naked eye for the worst of his injuries had been done to his mind.

"You're sure he remembers nothing?" the man in the dark suit asked.

He was older with a face that was wrinkled and hair that had long since turned grey. He seemed almost unassuming, someone you would walk by in the street without trepidation. The only strength he had left was in his eyes. There was a raw power there, something that was sure to warn off anyone who sought to engage him in a fight.

The woman next to him shook her head, sending cascades of dark waves falling about her head. She was a beautiful woman and this was her weapon. Her beauty was as deadly as her ability to throw a knife. She was wearing a white lab coat that fell to just above her knees despite the fact that she was no doctor.

"Nothing," she affirmed. Her voice had a slight accent to it. Spanish. "We spoke with him for as long as we could before he passed out from the pain. Unless he's a very convincing liar, he has no idea who he is."

"And you're positive that she cares enough about him for him to be any use to us?"

"Yes. She'll come for him. Even if she is unsure of her feelings, she'll come out of honour and duty."

"Then we can use him to our advantage."

"Yes."

The old man nodded. "Good. They've put him under?"

"Yes. He'll be kept in a medically-induced coma until his injuries are healed. They'll give him the necessary enhancements for Redfire while he's out. Then, we'll wake him up and proceed with Phase Two."

"And if we wake him up after the coma and he remembers who he is?"

The woman raised her chin. "Then I'll dispose of him myself."

"I'm counting on just that, Miss Savalas," the man said as he walked to the door, opened it, and left.

She turned back to the man, staring at him with a predatory glean in her eyes. She watched the gentle rise and fall of his chest.

Sleep well, she thought. For tomorrow, Phase One begins.

____

Hey everyone!

So, this is the end of Covert Love.  There will be a sequel entitled Covert Deception.  I am aiming to release it (hopefully) around Christmas or sometime in early 2018. I have a few projects to finish up first before I move onto it but I'm hoping to get to it as soon as possible.  If anyone is planning on removing this book from their library and doesn't follow me but would like to know when the sequel will be released, please comment or send me a PM with your username and I will add it to a list of people to message when it will be released.

I hope you all enjoyed this book.  I had a really fun time working on it.  Please feel free to drop a comment here or on my profile or send me a PM if you want to chat about the book or anything else.

Much love,

DB <3