Eleven

From behind the tinted windows of the black sedan I was sitting in, I watched as Daniel walked out of the Heathrow Airport in London. Even from a distance, I could tell that his hair was flat and rumpled and his eyes were haggard. The boy looked absolutely exhausted and completely dejected.

He paused at the curb, gaze swerving around the parking lot. The sky was just starting to darken with nightfall, though it'd been overcast all day. I rolled my window down halfway, just far enough that he could see my face, and he started towards me with quick steps. The window went back up as Daniel walked around to the other side of the car and stepped into the passenger seat. He tossed his backpack over his shoulder, sending it flying into the backseat, and then turned to me.

"Melanie, I'm so sor—"

I held up a hand, stopping his progression. "Don't do that."

"What?"

"Beat yourself up about this. None of it is your fault. This entire mess belongs to me and me alone."

Daniel shook his head as I started the car and peeled out of the parking lot. "You're wrong. You would have kept him safe."

"Yeah, well, I'm his big sister. It's kind of my job to keep that kid safe. Besides, I've been training for things like this. You haven't."

"Maybe I should have been." His tone was wry.

I glanced at him fleetingly but he wasn't looking at me. Instead, he was staring out the window. The muscles in his back and neck were pulled taut. "Seriously?"

"Why not? If my parents really are CIA, you'd think that I would have some sort of basic training. I've got absolutely nothing. I never even took a single karate lesson."

"They were probably just trying to keep you safe," I pointed out.

"By leaving me defenseless?"

"By letting you have a normal life."

Daniel leaned against the window of the car and turned his face forwards. His expression was half-torn with grief and anger. "I just wish that I could have done more."

"I can guarantee that you'll feel that way until he's safe and with us again, but for now you just have to keep your head on straight and not let your guilt swallow you up. I need you here with me right now, Daniel. I can't have you off in another world."

"Right. I got it."

"Good." I started the car and went to pull out of the busy airport. A few moments later, we were on the main road, headed back into central London.

Daniel sighed. "So, what's the plan then? Just how are we going to get Wes back? Do you even know who has him?"

I shook my head. "No, and that's part of the problem. I'm working on it."

"How? What can I do to help?"

"Get some rest. We've got a big day ahead of us tomorrow and I can't have you collapsing from exhaustion. We're heading to a hotel here in London. We'll be there in about fifteen minutes."

"I thought you were staying in a safe house?" he asked.

"I was," I said in return. "But, that was in Manchester, which is over four hours away from here. There's no point going back there now, especially since we need to be here in the city tomorrow."

Daniel turned his head towards me. I could feel the weight of his eyes on the side of my face. "Why?"

I changed lanes, pressed down a bit harder on the gas pedal. "Because we're meeting with your parents and my friend's parents tomorrow night."