Chapter One

First period is always the worst. I'm tired, drowsy, and can't focus. And with my luck, of course it had to be AP Biology. Thankfully, my best friend Lexa shares this class period with me and is extremely good at biology. At the end of class almost everyday, I snap a picture of her notes to copy down later when I have free time.

I've known her since we were three and when we were nine, her mom was taking us to a movie when the car was t-boned on the side that Lexa was sitting on. She hit the side of her head really hard on the window and it caused her to lose hearing in her left ear.

She accepted it as a gift, without any complaining. She's always been strong. She has this amazing outlook on life that I wish I could understand and I honestly don't know what I would do without her. She is my backbone, and encompasses everything I want to be as a person.

When she first started taking classes to learn sign language, I went with her and she was always smiling. She was never sad about it, or at least she didn't show it. I guessed that maybe it was because she would get more attention-she's always loved that.

Feeling a tap on my shoulder, I am pulled from my reminiscing and turn to look at Lexa.

"Have you started on your project?" She asked.

"Shit," I murmured. I turned toward her so she could understand me better. "No, I haven't even looked at the rubric. Have you?"

"Yeah, sorta. Do you wanna come over later and work on them together?"

"Paige, Lexa... pay attention pl-" Mr.Llad started but was interrupted by the bell dismissing us to second period.

"Yeah, that sounds great. I'll be over around 4:30?" I answered my best friend, pulling all of my supplies into my bag.

"Okay," Lexa stated, sending me a soft smile before heading out of the room.

-

As I pulled into Lexa's driveway, I noticed a moving truck a few houses down. A few days ago, the family that lived there moved to California for some high-paying job that the father was offered. To no surprise, the house had already been sold to a new family. The houses in this neighborhood never stayed on the market for long.

As I pulled the keys from the ignition and unbuckled my seat belt, I felt my phone vibrate.

Exa :) : Hey, sorry I stopped to get a smoothie. You know where the key is. Want anything?
4:45

I smiled at her mention of me knowing where the key is. I come over so often that her parents even offered to make me a spare key, which I haven't received yet.

Strawberry and Banana, please <3
4:45

I grabbed my bag from the back seat and made my way to the front door. I bend down and pull the loose brick from the bottom right corner of the wall, revealing the key to the front door.

I made my way up to Lexa's room and plopped down onto her bed, scrolling through tumblr while I waited for her to arrive.

Looking up, I noticed that on her wall above her desk, in the collage of pictures she'd been building for as long as I could remember, was a picture of me, her, and my ex-girlfriend, Anna.

Bitch, I thought as I walked over to the picture. I pulled it off the wall and folded the end back so that Anna's face couldn't be seen.

We dated for two years until I found out that during the last year of our relationship, she'd been cheating on me with a girl from a few towns over. Lauren, I think it was. Apparently, she didn't know either and ended it with Anna shortly after I did.