Chapter Twenty Two

"Um... hey Eliza, right?" you ask. Sympathy has flooded your heart for the young girl. She turns her head to glower at you, then zones out. You begin to feel slightly awkward around her, and you feel as if you have made the wrong impression. Carefully choosing your words, you kneel down to meet Eliza's petite height.

"I'm not with them," you whisper in your ear. That seems to snap her out of her gaze. "The only ones I trust here are you and your brother, Schwartz."

"His name is Daniel," Eliza whispers. "He goes by his last name so people don't know who he was." His name, Daniel Schwartz, sounds familiar to you. If only you had your memories...

"Hey, this is a weird question," you chuckle. "Have you by chance heart this female voice around? I heard and sensed a presence when I woke up and it left when your brother's group found me. Do you know what it was?"

Eliza tenses more at those words, then gives a slight, curt nod.

"You're one if the Saved. It's rare. Oblivion is hunting them down." Eliza gets closer to you, only inches away from your face. "Unfortunately for us. We are with Oblivion right n-" Schwartz sits next to us. Eliza gives him a cold stare. Melancholy, Schwartz puts his head down.

"I'd just like to say I'm sorry Eliza. It's not my fault I was dragged into Oblivion." Eliza's facade falters and she hugs Schwartz.

"I know." Tears of relief flood Daniel's eyes. As they embrace a little longer, you feel a pang of sadness in your chest. When was the last time you were able to love someone like that? If only you could remember...

"My first name isn't Schwartz. It's Daniel." Daniel looks at you, am that is when you can really see his youth. He cannot be any older than eighteen. The dirt on his face brings out the softness in his eyes. His aura is as soft as a gentle snowfall, and as fragile as a snowflake. Since he's found Eliza, Daniel's walls have began to crumble. You wonder what he was like before all of this. Perhaps he was that protective older brother, and no one hurts his sister, or he could have been that lazy teenager, just wanting a slice of pizza to calm his black hole stomach.

The General waltzes forward, keeping that menacing look in his eyes.

"Schwartz!" the General exclaims, the spit flying from his tongue. "Soldiers do not use their first names!" Daniel's soft eyes begin to cower in a masked fear as he stands up, prying Eliza off of him.

"Yes sir! Sorry sir!" Daniel's voice is frozen over. Words come out die to muscle memory. Raising his fist, the General socks Daniel in the eye.

"Daniel!" Eliza shrieks and runs to his aid. You seem to be frozen by uncertainty as you watch the brave young girl stand between the two. The General's amusement hardens as he stairs her down.

"I take it that your last name is Schwartz as well. Eliza Schwartz, protecting her brother. How sweet." Rage boils in your blood as you clench your fists.

Go to chapter twenty five to brawl with the general
Go to chapter twenty six to talk things out