Chapter 1

There was a time when faeries and humans lived in the world together. They helped each other in many ways. Life was wonderful; with faeries and humans leaving peacefully together. The relationship benefitted many and both kingdoms were a strong ally to the other. A war against either kingdom was lost. However, not everyone accepted the alliance. One human and one faery were particularly unhappy. As fate would have it, they met and came up with a fiendish plan to destroy the alliance. Their plan succeeded, creating a feud that seemed like it would last forever.

"Anabella! Anabella!! ANABELLA!!!" Hearing my name called several times and with increasing frequency, I pulled out of my thoughts and looked at the person who called me. Well, not really a person, considering he's a bird. It's hard to make friends when you're the last of your kind. Me, I'm the last faery in existence. When a human and a faery teamed up to start a war between the kingdoms, the quality of life declined for the faeries, but that's a story for later. "Hey, Rome." Rome was my best friend, a sparrow. "What had you so dazed you didn't hear me call your name?" I tried to think up a story he would believe, I knew it would be to no avail. I decided it was best to tell him the truth no matter how much it displeased him. "The war that happened between the humans and the faeries," I sighed. He sighed as well and then asked the same question he always did when I mentioned the war. "Are you ever going to tell me about it?" Faeries live a very long time, and I had been there to see the war and its aftermath. "Maybe someday, I know it's been 100 years since the war but for a faery that's still not too long ago." He looked at me and as always, he understood. "Just tell me before I croak," he joked. I smiled, but the smile faded away quickly when I heard something in the woods. Rome noticed and quizzically looked at me. "What's wrong?" He asked. "Shh... Be quiet. Stop talking before a human walks up and sees a talking sparrow." Right as I finished my sentence a human walked into the clearing. It was the Crown Prince, Xander. Prince Xander was one of the most handsome princes in the world. His hair was a dark brown almost black color, and his eyes were the most beautiful emerald green. His hair was straight until the ends where it curled just a little. He was wearing a dainty and intricately embroidered shirt and breeches. Even though I knew he was dressed down, for a prince, he was still handsome and regal. He had a mischievous smirk on his face, which gave him a look unlike most nobles. "Fairy Princess Anabella. I know you're alive, and I know you're here." I probably should have mentioned I was the fairy princess. Before the initial shock wore off, I gasped, which in hindsight might not have been the best thing to do, since the prince turned to find me.