A New Generation

9 years Later, Coney Island, 1926

Rosalind's POV

Rosalind stepped out onto the stage and into the lights. The routine she was practicing was one she knew like the back of her hand. Then again, so was dancing in general for her. Meme (or Madame depending on the day, and her mood) Giry had stayed all these years to help with the show's dances. She said she was 'too old' to move but 'too young' to leave dance.

With the help of her teacher, Rosie was getting better and better each day. People told her it was in her genes. And it was.

Her whole family was famous.

From the time she was young she knew the stories. Her mother, Christine Daae, was the most famous opera singer in the world back in the day. She enchanted thousands of people with her voice. But she cared little for the fame, she only cared for her father's pleasure in her voice.

Erik Destler. Now there was a name with a back story, though Rosie knew very little. All she knew is that he was the infamous 'Phantom of the Opera' and his powers. He wrote music that the world hungered for. Commissioned to write by almost every country in the world. All the great artists wanted to sing his music. Play his music. Breathe her father's music. Like Christine, however, he only wanted to please his spouse. Erik lavished his wife with gifts from across the world, when he didn't take her along. Roses. Necklaces. Music boxes. Dresses. He spoiled Christine.

And Rosalind too, she couldn't ask for a more caring father.

The Daae-Destler children strived to uphold the family name every day. Her brother, Gustave, was a natural. Music flowed from him just as it flowed from Erik. On his 25th birthday, Erik gave Gustave the show. The whole thing. Phantasma was his.

In truth, she was relieved this had happened. She was free to do as she pleased with her life. Also, Gustave welcomed the music of the 20's into the show's halls. Her brother wrote some of the most popular songs of the age. Without him, Rosie feared the show would have became old-fashioned.

Still, today was a day for the classics. Her ballet classes were some of the more relaxing ones. The jazz teacher drove her insane.

"Rosie!" her friend Evelyn called, then got quiet, "are you sure you'll be able to come out tonight?"

Evelyn was Rosalind's second-in-command among the dancers. Her parents were Irish, so Ev had striking red hair that looked like a fire. Her green eyes matched the emeralds her parents sent her, and she had freckles everywhere. True, there was no official head of the girls, but because of who she was Rosalind had privileges.

"Ev, trust me, as long as look like I'm sick, they'll think I'm sick. I've told you, I'm a fabulous actress."

"I hope so. If you miss this party you'll be behind for centuries!"

Tonight was the Masq Ball at a club in the city called the Populaire. The term 'ball' being used loosely. It in no way was a ball like the ones her parents used to attend. This was a dance hall, where the liquor flowed, and music was like oxygen. So, she'd have to sneak out.

They chose a theme for the night, everyone was to wear masks. You couldn't get in without one. It was mysterious and alluring. Rosie would hardly contain her excitement.

Ev elbowed her rib cage and laughed, "If your father catches you, you won't be able to leave the grounds for a month!"

"Then we'll just have to make sure he doesn't won't we?" she giggled back.

Though Rosalind's father was an amazing man, he was so protective over his daughter. Rosie had never even been anywhere outside New York. She adored the world she lived in, but there was so much to see, so much to do.

So, consequently, every so often Rosie would find a way to leave the castle on a Friday night, and spend the time at one of the clubs on the mainland. She was nearly 19 now, and Coney Island was starting to feel like her personal, elaborate birdcage.

After practice, her and Ev headed up to her own bedroom. Evelyn usually stayed with the other girls in the dorm house, but Rosie needed some urgent advice.

"Ok. Which dress." Rosie had stormed into her closet and pulled out nearly 6 dresses her parents had no idea she owned.

Ev was sitting on a chair flipping through a magazine and laughed, "Where did you get those!?"

"Tip the costume shop, and they will make you anything!" she fell on her bed into the pile of dresses.

"And they don't tell?"

"I leave them with a very good sum." she said mischievously.

"Rosie you're awful!" Ev said, tossing a dress at her.

"Pick!" she told her with urgency.

"Fine." she got up from the chair and walked to the bed to observe the dresses, "That one."

"Its like you read my mind!" Rosie said, tossing the rejected ones back in the closet.

"Don't I always?" Ev joked, attempting to brush her hair with Rosie's hair brush.

Rosie looked at herself in the mirror, she knew she was beautiful. Everyone told her she looked like her mother, and everyone on this earth thought Christine Daae was beautiful. She embraced it, it gave her confidence.

But she was not identical to her mother, Christine always told Rosie, from the time she could talk and walk, that she was "a strong-willed girl", but she knew what that meant. She was not complacent with anything, enjoyed making things her way, and had no plans of settling down anytime soon.

"Enjoying the view?" Ev asked, kicking her thigh.

"Oh hush. Meet me in our usual place tonight at midnight, ok?"

"Good Luck."

Now all she had to do was make it through dinner.

*********

Note to Reader,

Hey friends! I'm back from my break. School is nearly a month away for me now, so I want to make a lot more progress on this story! In addition, I will begin the editing process of RTA so if you see notifications for it, that is why! Final run through!

Its so fun writing Rosie's character haha she's so unlike any of the other members of that family. She's actually a little La Carlotta ish...good thing or bad thing? I think her character is fun so I'm gonna go good.

How have you guys been, alright? THE SHOW WAS FABBBBBB IT WAS SO GOOD.

And I met Chris Mann. I'm so happy. He's so handsome. My full review and summary of the show is on my Instagram: Sing_Angel_of_Music

As always comments, questions, and critiques encouraged!

Your Humble Servant,

W.G.