Chapter 7

As I sit in the car, I begin to think about what to expect when I get to school. It's been two days since I found out, and it's weird because I almost never go a whole weekend without hanging out with Riley. I don't know what it's gonna be like the first time I see Lucas. I'm so incredibly excited, yet I'm so nervous that I couldn't even eat. At this point, I really hope nothing changes at all. That we just act like it never happened? That's definitely what I want. I just want to go to school and be able to hang out out with my friends and goof around with Lucas just like it's always been.

It took a while for me to realize this, but I'm actually pretty mad at Farkle. I never told him that he could tell Lucas. I bet Lucas is mad at him, too. But as I said, I just want everything to be normal.

I realize that the car has stopped, and it's finally time to go to school.

I close my eyes as I push the doors open. I can't believe this moment has finally come. I open my eyes and see Riley and Farkle talking by the lockers.

"Hey," I say as I walk up to them.

"Oh hi," Farkle nods.

"Maya, why didn't you come hang out with me this weekend?" Riley asks, sounding concerned, "I feel like I haven't heard your voice in months"

"Sorry, Riles," I apologize, "I guess I was just thinking."

The bell rings. We walk to class. As I walk through the door, I see Lucas already sitting in his seat behind me.

Should I say hi?

As I put my books on my desk, and begin to sit down, I drop a pen.

Lucas leans over and picks it up. As I extend my hand to take it, I say "thanks."

"Yep," he acknowledges.

I turn around and sit.

I feel like if I went back in time to a few days ago, before we knew we liked each other, that whole pen exchange would have gone differently. I feel like that was really casual. If we didn't know we like each other, he would have made me chase him, or i'd probably have to try to get it out of his hand. Am I just being paranoid?

No everything's fine.

We haven't really spoken or anything yet. I really need to clam down.

"Maya?" I hear Mr. Matthews say.

I abruptly snap out of my trance and say, "yes?"

I guess I didn't realize how long I was thinking for. I didn't even know that class had started.

"Do u know? I asked you a question."

"Oh sorry. What was it?" I feel embarrassed.

"Are you okay?" He asks.

"Yeah- yeah I'm fine."

"Alright"

~~~~~~~~~

Ding

The bell rings and I walk to lunch with Riley. We sit down at the table with Lucas and Farkle.

Here we go.

"Hey" Lucas says.

"Hey," Riley and I say in unison.