Chapter 1

Entering the school building just as the bell rings, I cursed my wheelchair for the trillionth time in a year. Rolling into the front office, I saw Mrs. Adams look up from her desk and at me with amused eyes.

    "Late again, I see. What was it this time, Lacy?"

    I gave her a playful grin. "I had a flat tire."

    She raised a perfectly groomed eyebrow. "You don't drive, Ms. Carter."

    "I don't?" I asked, cocking my head to the side. "Huh. That's news to me."

    Chuckling, Mrs. Adams filled out a tardy slip before handing it to me. That was when I noticed the tall guy standing to the side, watching our exchange with curiosity and amusement.

    Cocking my head to the side, I looked up at him. "Who's this?"

    "Oh, this is Grayson Tyler. He's new here. I was just printing out his schedule. Speaking of which, I'm looking at yours here and it looks like y'all have the same classes. So, why don't you show him around today, Lacy?"

    Grayson and I stared at each other, studying, analyzing each other. Finally, I grinned. "Of course I'll show him around," I said, wheeling around. "Well, come on."

    Without waiting to see if he was following me, I started to move my wheelchair forward.

-------------

    Walking towards our first class, he didn't say a word. Sometimes I would catch him staring at me out of the corner of my eye. It was probably the wheelchair. It usually tended to do that. No. I'm not going to let that get to me today.

    I cleared my throat. "So, are you mute, or just a quiet guy?"

    "I just met you. You're a complete stranger and I don't have anything to say to you."

    "Well, we could get to know each other a little bit since we have all our classes together, it seems. Where did you move from?"

    Grayson sighed. "I moved from New York."

    "Ok. Why did you move then? Was it because of one of your parents' jobs? Do you have any siblings? What are your hobbies?"

    I guess he couldn't take it anymore because he seemed to blow up. "Oh my god! Do you ever shut up? For the last freaking time, I don't know you and I don't want to! I don't want to chit chat with you and you don't need to know about me or my family."

    I just stared at him, blinking, for a couple seconds until his face softened after seeing the look of hurt that was surely on mine.

    He sighed. "Look, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap at you. I just hate moving."

    I smiled and said, "Don't we all? I forgive you for being so damn grumpy. How  about we start over? Friends?"

    He slowly smiled. "Friends. So, I know I'm new here and all, but I think we're going to be late if we don't hurry to our first class."

    My eyes widened. How had I completely forgotten that we were in school?

AN* Emily Rudd as Lacy Carter up at the top