Chapter 1

"How could you do this to me?!" I screamed, rage flowing through my body. He stood there with his head down and his hands in his pockets.

"You're not even going to say anything?" I asked disgusted "Look at me Mason." When he finally met my eyes I spoke in a low voice.

"I want you to get your shit out of my house by the time I get back. Maybe your new girlfriend will take you in. Goodbye Mason." I grabbed my purse and stormed out, slamming the door behind me. Walking down my apartment stairs I felt heart broken.

I started walking towards my best friend Riley's house. She was the only person who could make me forgot about the man I had loved for 2 years, the man who cheated on me and broke my heart.

             •••
"So how did you find this out?" Riley asked, sitting across from me. After I arrived at her apartment with blood shot eyes she pulled me into a hug and brought me to my favorite coffee shop.

"Well I had been suspicious for a few weeks now, but I kept telling myself he would never do this to me." I said tears welling in my eyes. "I thought we were so in love."

"Hey don't cry. You know things haven't been good for a while now, you just wouldn't admit it Violet." She said softly, she squeezed my hand and smiled sadly at me.

I took a deep breathe and sighed she was right, things hadn't been good. I just started working at the law firm and I was very preoccupied with work. Mason was always unsupportive of my dreams and recently he had been mean about it. I felt like he had been holding me back for a while, I just never wanted to admit it.

"Maybe you're right Ri, I told him to get his stuff out and leave. Will you come back to my apartment to make sure he's gone?" I asked knowing she'd accompany me.

Although my heart physically hurt knowing things between Mason and I, I also felt a weight lifted off my shoulders, knowing I could live my life how I wanted now.

We left the coffee shop and walked out to into the harsh November air. We merged with the crowd of people filing the New York streets and as we headed for my apartment, I dreaded every step we took.