Chapter 23 - When in Rome

Author's note: Firstly, time has moved on apace and this chapter takes place about a year after the last one. Secondly, I "borrowed" a number of songs for this one for your listening pleasure and have put YouTube videos at the end. All I Ask of You is performed by Josh Groban and Kelly Clarkson; E ti prometterò by Josh Groban and Laura Pausini; and Perhaps Love by John Denver and Placido Domingo.

The sun was like a warm blanket, caressing my bare shoulders and arms as I stood in front of the fountain. When I closed my eyes to savour its embrace, the sounds of everyone around me were muted as my mind took me back to the last time I stood before this structure; I was nine years old and visiting Rome with my family on what would turn out to be our last holiday together. Our last almost anything together. Papa was rambling about aqueducts and Travertine stone, mama was gazing around the piazza as if looking for someone or something in particular, while my brothers were squabbling and daring each other to reach in and remove a coin. And me? I was turning in slow circles, unable to absorb everything fast enough, deeply enough, affected by sights, sounds, smells, the very air itself. It was the first time I found unfamiliar notes and half-melodies strumming through my brain and by the time that day was over I had written my first tune, hiding it away in my journal to share with nonno later.

I opened my eyes again; the palazzo, triumphal arch and Oceanus himself were all in shadow from nearby buildings but the tritons and horses were glowing. Rays of sun caught tumbling drops of recycled water, turning them into twinkling diamonds and I smiled, quickly pulling a coin from my pocket, turning and tossing it, happy in the knowledge my wish would go to a worthy charity as my phone shrilled in my bag.

"Rick, hi."

"Where the hell are you?"

"Fontana di Trevi."

"Do you think you could haul your sightseeing butt over here sometime soon? We've got a rehearsal to do and it's almost two o'clock."

"Shit, sorry, I didn't realise it had gotten so late." I began weaving my way through the crowd of tourists. "What time is Josh going to be there?" Tonight I was opening for Josh Groban as well as doing a few songs with him, including a duet we'd recorded last year for his Stages album.

"Three thirty."

Damn. "Okay, I'm hauling butt; I'll be there as soon as I can." Bum, bugger, blast! I muttered "excuse me please" and "mi scusa, per favore" every few inches through the piazza until I reached Via Poli and managed to catch a taxi to where we were performing, an open air concert venue on Via Alessandro Poerio. It was only a ten-minute drive so Rick wasn't too cross with me when I showed and besides, the sound tech guys were still tweaking with their gear, letting me off the hook somewhat. I confirmed the set list and chatted for a few minutes until they were ready to go, then we did a complete run-through – luckily with no hitches.

Distracted talking to Rick, I didn't pay much attention to Josh's band and the orchestra setting up and when Josh arrived, we went through our three numbers then I left him to do his own rehearsing and returned to the hotel. Checking the time and staring pensively at my phone as I rode the lift, I tried to calculate my chances of being able to speak to my children without having to talk to my husband.

I was still mad at him.

---

The previous day

I was packing for Italy when Ben wandered nonchalantly into our bedroom, plonked himself down on the bed beside my half-filled suitcase and in a casual tone asked, "What would you say if I told you I'd bought a new house?"