Chapter 1

Ashlynn was so nervous this was going to be here first time through the veil! But she wasn't going to be the only one, the Joys had decided that Cyle, Kate, Brian, and Spencer were also going to go on this next trip. They were going to be tested to see if they could work together. A fake run would be made, someone in a cloak would rush by with goons on their trail. But these goons would be some of the best trainers from the last years. Ashlynn was hoping that she would get the chance to run Lya through with her sword.

Lya was always out to get someone, the elders said it was because of a confrontation she had about 16 years ago. Ashlynn had to prove herself worthy of the choosing ceremony, her birthday was only two weeks away. The signal appeared, she was off running as soon as she saw the old Jay. The tree was 25 yards away. But once she hit the tenth yard her sides already ached.

She would use her dash if it was just Tille and Rosie watching. She didn't want anyone to know about the ability she had found only a month ago. So she walked, trying to breath slowly so that her sides wouldn't hurt too much...it didn't work. It hurt to breath in or out. By the time everyone else got to the tree, they were all sweating and panting.

"Why is it so hard to run this far?!"Brian gasped. Ashlynn looked at his medical bag "Maybe because you were running with a horse on your back." He glared at her, Cyle awkwardly cleared his throat "maybe we should ask Spencer what the plan is..." he trailed off as he looked at Spencer. Spencer being the idiot that he was had started to flirt with Kate. She looked confused, and had her hand easing out her knife.

Ashlynn strolled over cutting Spencer mid flirt...well he thought it was...she grabbed Kate by the shoulders. "Hi, we need the brains of the team to come join us-" Spencer puffed out his chest "Well I guess because you need me so much-" Ashlynn rolled her eyes.

"Not you air head, I was talking about Kate. She is 12 times smarter than one of your brain cells. Plus she has experience outside of the veil as a guard, and fighting things besides her own shadow." Spencer turned a bright pink, Kate tried to hide her laughter though she was really bad at it.

"Okay Cyle, Brain-" Brian looked at her "It's Brian." Ashlynn ignored him "Dipstick, and Sunshine, we need a plan that doesn't leave someone left behind....Well Dipstick may be an exception.-" Spencer glared at her "-But we know that the area beyond the veil is a dead forest with lots of dead things on the ground that will make a lot of noise. So we will need to- What Brain."

Brian looked at her offended "First, it BrIAn. And second, I don't think you are team leader." Spencer looked smug, Cyle and Kate looked like they wanted to find a hiding place that would be safe from the cross fire. Ashlynn just smirked "Fine what does General Dipstick want to do?" Everyone turned expectantly towards Spencer, all the smugness evaporated from his face. "We should...um...Oh! We should avoid the dead stuff from the ground, and uh-"

Everyone turned back to Ashlynn "Like I was saying, in order to avoid the noise, we are going to have to stay off the ground." Cyle, and Kate nodded understanding why. "Well for General Dipstick and Brain I'll explain. The ground may be covered in dead twigs, and leaves, but the surrounding trees are perfectly quiet if you are still, and you aren't on a branch that's about to fall."

Finally they nodded understanding, though Spencer nodded more reluctantly and grudgingly. "We will have to make it an ambush if this is to work. We're going to do Deftna formation. No one is to be within five feet with another person. Brain, you are going to be in a close, but hidden location. Being a healer will have to do if we need to call you into combat. You will also be messenger in needs be, but otherwise we'll use clack for this veil breach."

Ashlynn turned towards Kate "Sunshine we are going to put you closer to the oak, just in case they get past me, Dipstick, and Cyle. Because that area will be familiar to you, do whatever you need to set up." Kate nodded, her blond Ponytail bouncing in anticipation.

"Cyle-" Cyle turned a slight shade of pink, though Ashlynn didn't notice "-I'm going to put you closer to Brain, than the fighting." He nodded, secretly he was relieved. He had only been practicing with the sword for a couple months, because he had just been rescued. And he wasn't up to facing enemies that were of the Justices...even if it wasn't real.

"Spencer-" Spencer almost jumped, Ashlynn had called him by his real name "-get that ridiculous grin off your face, first. And second off, you will take up the position at the beginning of the dead forest. I want you to be at the front so that hopefully only the pebbles will hit the back forces." Spencer turned expectantly towards her.

"And where are you going to be? With Kate watching from a distance Princess?" Ashlynn slapped Spencer, leaving a red mark. "No Dipstick. And I won't be with you, Cyle, or Brain.-" Spencer started up again, though more cautiously "Then where-" Brian put his hand over Spencer's mouth, "Thank you Brain, and as I said I won't be with any of you, I'm going to be at the crest of the hill."

Everyone broke into an uproar, Ashlynn waited until they were all done. "I am the only Expert Swordsman, and it will only be a test. It won't be the real deal." Everyone was giving her disapproving frowns. She sighed "Fine, when they come I run down and join Spencer." They all felt as if somehow she would break her promise, but they had no choice. Her mind was made up. They passed through the veil without knowing they were being watched, and this test was going to destroy them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment! Like? Dislike? Why?

Thanks for reading this chapter! You rock. You soar. You shine. You glow. You're never too low. You're a light. Your light is bright. Keep smiling!

-Leigh Treaty