Chapter 17

Axton bowed deeply to his king. Darren laughed and gestured to one of the chairs that surrounded the dark table in that corner of his sitting room. He waited until the knight was seated before asking “What’s Paige done?”

            He jerked his head to stare at his king. Then he shook his head. “She has done nothing. I…I had a question, one I could not put to her.”

            The king frowned, not liking the sound of it. “What question?”

            He held out his wrist, showing the watch that ticked quietly on his arm. “Paige has given it to me.”

Darren nodded. “Yeah she had an argument with V-her sister about it. Is there a problem?”

            Axton shook his head then glanced around the room for a moment before resting his eyes back on his king. “What is it?”

            He stared at the knight for a moment before he threw his head back and laughed. It took a minute for him to calm down enough to speak. “Y-you…you just accepted it and thanked her, not knowing what it was, didn’t you?”

            The boy nodded, making him chuckle. “You are one of a kind, Sir Heartfield. It’s a watch. It’s a portable way of telling time. No need to rely on sundials, water clocks, or the three clock towers in Merrity.”

            “Ah. It is very useful. I will have to thank her again,” Axton replied, smiling.

            Darren smiled as well. “Well that alone tells me Paige’s is back and causing havoc. I haven’t seen you smile since just before Christmas.”

            He stared for a moment then his smile widened. “It is good to have her back.”

            The rest of their conversation was cut off by the door opening and a voice calling “Darren, I don’t know what you impregnated me with but it kicks like a bloody mule.” Valerie stopped in the middle of the room, one hand still on her protruding stomach, rubbing the spot her child had just decided to attack.  Her eyes went to Axton and her eyebrows rose.

            The knight jumped to his feet and bowed deeply. “Your majesty.”

            She nodded, though her eyes were on her husband. “Sir Axton. I had not expected to see you here.”

            He bowed again, making her frown. Then he turned to Darren and bowed. “I will take my leave with your permission, your majesty.”

            The king nodded and watched him bow again to him then to Valerie before finally leaving the room. Darren waited until the door shut before he sighed and met his wife’s eyes. “You scared him off.”

            She dropped down onto the couch beside him with a groan. “I don’t care,” she said, leaning back. Then she looked at him. “Was it about Paige?”

            “Sort of. Paige gave him his Christmas present and he didn’t ask her what it was before thanking her for it,” he told her, grabbing one hand and squeezing it gently.

            “Ah yes. The watch. I swear I had never heard her yell that loud before that,” Valerie replied, closing her eyes. “So they’re already running around again I take it.”

            “You knew they would be,” he said. “I still don’t think she’s told him you’re her sister.”

            She snorted. “If she’s smart, and I think she is, she won’t if she can help it. Not to Heartfield.”

            He sighed and grabbed her legs, pulling them up into his lap so she was lying against the arm of the couch. “You’re letting your dislike of his father colour how you see him. He’s a good boy, almost a man and he puts Paige first. I wouldn’t have been helping him otherwise,” he said, pulling her boots off.

            She winced. “I know. I just…She’s still so young. And I worry what’s going to happen when he finds out. She’s really attached to him.”

            Darren shrugged then went to work, massaging her feet. “She’s no younger than many of the prince and princesses who suffer enchantments, fight monsters, and get married. If she’d been born here, she’d almost certainly on the path to her partner if she hadn’t already found them.”

            Val shivered and rubbed her stomach. “Don’t remind me. I’m nervous enough about your kid. I’ve already started stockpiling fairy tale books so they can avoid doing anything really stupid. And you can keep up with my feet until the baby’s born if you like.”

            He chuckled. “What? Like starting a fight with a fairy godmother?”

            She made a face. “You’re funny. I mean like when a frigging talking animal tells you to do something, you do it. I’ve been reading a lot of them in my free time, just so we can be prepared. Oh, and let’s not have a christening. Too many seem to end in horrific curses.”

            He smiled, leaning down to kiss her. “Sounds good, love. Have you thought about the names I suggested?”

            “Yes and I checked with Isaac to see if he could find anything wrong with them. He was able to make fun of about three quarters of them within a minute, which means they’re right out.”

            Darren shook his head. “Well which are your favourites of the remaining ones?”