Prologue

1628

Anna let her hand skim the surface of the sea of wheat filling the field she was walking through as her exhausted horse wearily dragged itself along behind her.

"Not much further, Alexandre." She smiled at the animal who huffed in response. "Yes, I know I've said that a few times today, but this time..." She pointed to a tiny house at the edge of the field. "...I mean it."

The horse looked up and after a moment of appearing to digest her words, he allowed her to rub his head before they continued across the wheat and towards the home.

"Mademoiselle!" The door of the house flung open as Anna guided her horse towards a small trough of water.

"Monsieur Bertrand, I presume?" She smiled at the man as she removed various bags from Alexandre's back. "I apologise for being a day late, we took a wrong turn." She sighed as Alexandre turned to stare at her as if with a raised eyebrow. "I mean, I took a wrong turn; my horse's sense of direction is excellent – I should learn to trust it more."

"It is of no problem, Mademoiselle." He assured her as he ushered her inside. "You will rest here tonight before I introduce you to my brother in the morn."

"Thank you, Monsieur." She touched his hand gratefully. "I trust everything is sorted for my journey?"

"Of course, Mademoiselle: I pride myself on being the best courier in France." He gave a little bow as he pulled out a chair for her at his table.

"Did your brother manage to procure me a dress?" She asked as he placed a steaming bowl of stew in front of her.

"Indeed, Mademoiselle: it is at his house waiting for you to change tomorrow."

"Excellent." She reached out to touch his hand once again. "France thanks you for your service, Bertrand."

The sun was low in the sky as Anna led her horse across Bertrand's land as they followed the man towards a small house remarkably similar to the one they had left minutes earlier.

"Your clothes are in the bedroom; I will hold your horse as I check my brother has everything you will need." Anna nodded to the man before ducking into the house and locating the bedroom.

She locked the rickety door behind her before inspecting the items carefully laid out for her. With a sigh she shed the day dress she had travelled in and slowly assembled the foreign fashions onto her body. Glancing in the smudged mirror, she coiled her hair in the way she had been instructed and applied the little make-up she had been able to procure before tying a string of pearls around her slender neck.

"No going back now." She whispered as she took in her new appearance. "I am ready." She called out as she opened the door and left the small room.

"Ah, wonderful!" She was greeted by two identical men. "Mademoiselle, allow me to introduce me brother; Blaise." She inclined her head towards the silent brother. "Here are your papers, Mademoiselle." Bertrand handed a small pile of papers, tied with a red ribbon. "I do believe they are some our finest work."

"Excellent." She slipped them into one of Alexandre's saddle-bags. "And these will definitely get me into court?"

"I foresee no problems, Mademoiselle." Bertrand assured her. "Now, I apologise for my haste but I must leave and you must be setting off. Bonne chance, Mademoiselle!"

She watched as the Frenchman disappeared across the field quicker than she imagined a man of his age should move before turning her attention to Blaise.