Chapter Four - The Night That Went From Bad, To Worse, To Unbearable

The Carter Household

Michael's Room

Friday, September 23

It was late at night when Lauren came online.She told me that she was sleeping at her

friend Kayla Whittaker's house.When she came online, I realised how much I'd wanted her to come on.

Anyway, we started talking about so many different things. it was amazing how much we had in common! We liked all the same music and movies. And here's the really weird one.

We both weighed exactly 50 kilos.

From Bad:

Lauren had spent the whole week bugging me about who I liked. She just wouldn't give up on trying to find out.

Eventually it was time to give in.

Lauren Kiery -So, are you gonna tell me who you like yet? ;)

Michael Carter -Hmm, I won't actually tell you, but I guess I can answer questions :p

Lauren Kiery -Yes!Okay, what building is he/she in? ;)

Michael Carter -SHE is in Barr-Smith :p

Lauren Kiery -Okay. Upstairs or downstairs?

Michael Carter -I'm not sure.

Lauren Kiery -Okay. What class?

Michael Carter -Umm, 7 Red I'm pretty sure.

Lauren Kiery -Alright. I know who it is ;)

Michael Carter -Okay. What about you, who do you like?

Lauren Kiery -Do you promise not to tell?

Michael Carter -I promise.

Now, a promise is a promise, so I'm not gonna tell you the person's real name.

There's a bottle of Cool Ridge water in front of me, so let's just call the other guy.....

Lauren Kiery -Okay, I kind of like this guy who's name is Cool Ridge.

Michael Carter -Oh, yeah. i think I know who your talking about.

So, dear reader, can you imagine why my night would have suddenly become bad?

The girl I liked, who I was so sure had liked me back, had just told me that she liked some guy called 'Cool Ridge.

To Worse:

After she told me who she liked, she let me in on a secret. Now, I'll tell you know, this secret really shook me upside down, took all the life out of me and nearly made me curl up in a ball on my bed and just shut my mind off forever.

Lauren Kiery -Michael, can I tell you something? You want like it at all.......

Michael Carter -Yeah, you can tell me anything.

Lauren Kiery -Are you sure? It will make you pretty upset....

Michael Carter -You kissed Cool Ridge?

Lauren Kiery-No. I'm moving to Geelong next year.

In one sentence. my world was turned upside down.

Michael Carter -Ohh......

To be honest, I had no idea how to respond to that. I didn't really know this girl, yet we liked all the same things and had the same views on a lot of topics.

And so, once again, you can understand how my night became worse.

To Unbearable:

Lauren and I tried to keep the conversation going.

It was rolling along smoothly, until...

Lauren Kiery -I like someone other then Cool Ridge, and I don't know who I like more!

Michael Carter -Oh no! This happened to me once. My friend helped me get out of it though.

Lauren Kiery -How?!?!

Michael Carter -Okay. I want you to separate these two boys into Boy 1 and Boy 2.

Lauren Kiery -Done

Michael Carter -Okay. Who have you known the longest?

Lauren Kiery -Boy 1

Michael Carter -Okay. Who do you talk to in person more and who do you talk to on Facebook more?

Lauren Kiery -Boy 1 in person. Boy 2 on Facebook.

At this point, I was beginning to think that maybe I was Boy 2.

I kept asking questions, especially ones that the answer would apply to me. By the end, I was sure I was Boy 2.

Lauren Kiery -So, what do you think. Who should I choose?

This was a tough moment. It's hard to make a fair call when your one of the people.

So I did what any decent guy would've done.

Michael Carter -I think you like them both equally. It's your choice.

After that, we got talking about other things.

Towards the end of our conversation, I decided it was time to ask.

Michael Carter -So, just to make sure we're both on the same page, who's Boy 2?

Lauren Kiery -Really? You haven't figured it out yet?

Michael Carter -I have afair idea. I just need you to confirm it

Lauren Kiery -Well, you never actually told me who you liked. I just assumed who it was.

Michael Carter -Okay, I like you. Are you gonna tell me now?

Lauren Kiery -Okay, I like you as well.

After that, we started writing each other stories. Not big ones, just short ones that would barely reach a page.

Now, I bet your thinking "She just told you she likes you, so how come you’re so depressed?"

The answer: It's never good to find out that someone likes you when they have around 3 months until they move to another city. If they were to not like you, you'd forget about them, and not notice that they are gone.

It's funny how the world works. You like someone, and then they tell you they're moving away, and suddenly, you like them even more.