Chapter 7

After a couple of weeks, the school's rugby coach tracked John down and practically begged him to rejoin the team. John conceded, though he was apprehensive about changing in the locker room with the rest of the team before practice. There's often contention surrounding the issue of LGBT kids in locker rooms, particularly concerns about making the other team members uncomfortable. However, when John finally entered the locker room after a two-month hiatus, a few friendly faces greeted him in the doorway.

"Hey, he's back," Mike Stamford said, grinning amiably. "Where've you been Johnny?" He and Henry Knight were already at their lockers getting undressed. They didn't seem unsettled by John's presence at all.

John shrugged. "I just took some time off."

Henry tugged off his shirt and donned his uniform. "Well it's good to have you back, mate. I've been filling in for your position, but I'm rubbish at it."

Feeling a bit more relaxed, John walked over to his locker and pulled his uniform out of his rucksack. He got a few looks from his teammates as he undressed, but thankfully John was completely comfortable with his body, and so their stares didn't make him feel the least bit self-conscious.

Stripped down to his tight red pants, he heard a huff to his left and turned to see Anderson glowering at him. John smirked and said, "I don't think my boyfriend would appreciate you gawking at me."

Mike and Henry snorted as Anderson's face turned red and he stormed away angrily to finish changing on the other side of the locker room. He didn't make eye contact with John for the rest of the season.

The last rugby game of the season was a home game. The stands were packed, but the top right corner where Sherlock and Dannie were sitting was virtually empty apart from them. Still, Sherlock's mind was inundated with random sensory details from individuals in the crowd. He wanted to close his eyes and block it out, but then he might miss something important going on in the game.

Dannie pressed the left side of her face against Sherlock's shoulder and mumbled, "Too many people."

Sherlock sighed. "I know." He put an arm around her, and she curled up against his chest. "We have to endure it, though, for John's sake."

They sat huddled together like that for a bit, ignoring the few awkward glances from other members of the crowd. Sherlock needed something to keep his mind anchored in the sea of sensory data, and Dannie needed to feel hidden. It was an indirect kind of comfort they took from each other.

After a while Dannie spoke up, her voice muffled against Sherlock's chest. "John has really done a number on you."

Sherlock stayed still with the girl nestled in his arms. "What do you mean?"

"You're much more cuddly now."

"It's not like I'm going around giving out free hugs," Sherlock muttered, cringing at the idea.

"Not many people would want one if you did."

"Because I'm a sociopath?"

"No," Dannie giggled, "because getting smushed against your cold, hard, knobbly body with all your bones poking out can be a tad uncomfortable."

Sherlock smiled and loosened his grip. "Sorry about that."

"It's fine. I'm sure John doesn't mind. He's probably soft and squishy enough for the both of you."

"He has quite a bit of muscle tone, you know."

"I bet he does," Dannie said. She perked her head up for a moment and watched John dash down the field. "Look at him go."