Chapter 2

A young, black woman could be seen by observers squatting on the side of the road trying to get the right angle. She was an attractive, fit woman of average height with long, black hair. She held an expensive camera up to her face and took shots of an accident involving a semi-truck and a family sedan. There were serious injuries and one death, but the photojournalist was used to scenes such as this. The more violent the incident, the more money she could get from a news station.

After she was finished, she walked into a nearby market that was a combination carniceria, taqueria, and panaderia. She picked up a pre-made, deli sandwich and a homemade lemonade from a refrigerated section and began walking up and down the aisles searching for something to complete her meal. Not paying attention to what was in front of her as she walked she bumped into a man.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," the woman apologized.

"Don't be sorry," said the man as he straightened out his jacket. "I wasn't paying attention either." He looked up and was taken aback by who was in front of him. "Normani?"

After checking to see that the camera hanging around her neck was okay, she also looked up and was surprised. "Arin?"

"Whoa! I never thought I'd see you again. How have you been?" asked Arin.

Normani got a bit anxious and wanted to take off. He was one of the last people she wanted to see. "I'm alright. How's it going with you?"

"I couldn't be better," Arin answered. "I've been working at my dad's RV dealership. The money's been rolling in."

Normani knew that he was trying to impress her and wanted to get away as quickly as possible. "Well, it was nice seeing you again. I'd better get going."

As Normani turned to make her way to the cash register, Arin softly grabbed her arm and pulled her back. "Hey, I have something to ask you."

Normani slowly pulled her arm out of Arin's grasp, but didn't say anything. She just gave him her attention.

"You know, I still think about how we were planning to get married. It kind of fucks me up, actually. You never gave me an explanation for breaking up with me," Arin divulged.

"So, what is your question?" Normani asked. She was running low on patience.

"Well, why did you break up with me?"

The wheels in Normani's head turned as she tried to think of an answer to give him. "I just wasn't ready. We were talking about marriage in high school, and it was all just moving too fast."

"But, you were just as excited as I was. Then, all of a sudden, you tell me you don't want to be with me anymore. It didn't make sense. It still doesn't," said Arin.

Normani responded, "Look, Arin. I apologize for the way things ended. But, we can't change the past. I really have to get going."

"Wait!" Arin placed his hand on Normani's shoulder as she turned away again. "Are you seeing anyone? I was just thinking...we're both older, and we can take things slowly. I always felt that you were the one."

Normani sighed, "Arin, I'm a different person, now. Plus, I don't have time to date. I know there is someone out there for you; it's just not me."

"What did I do?" Arin questioned. "Why are you treating me like I'm revolting or as if I did something wrong? I think I at least deserve a real explanation for why you broke up with me."

Normani noticed that Arin's voice was rising, so she tried one last time to end the conversation. "I don't know what else I can tell you. I really have to go."