Chapter 8

"Is something bothering you?" Ally asked Normani.

Normani had been sitting at the dining room table staring at her bowl of cereal moving her spoon around in circles for a good 10 minutes. She might have been in the home, but her mind was somewhere else. Her eyes were vacant of any connection to reality. It was irking Ally so much, she had to snap her friend out of it.

"Mani! Can you hear me?" Ally shouted after her friend failed to respond to her the first time.

The photographer finally looked at her cereal rather than stare blankly in its direction. The bowl became a real thing that was a part of her universe rather than an object sitting in front of her while her mind was in a different world. She grimaced after noticing how soggy her cereal was and slowly looked up to acknowledge her friend.

"What is wrong with you?" Ally questioned.

"I..." Normani voice came out raspy, so she stopped to clear her throat. "I've just been having a lot of things on my mind."

Ally raised an eyebrow as she put on her pantsuit jacket. She was getting ready for an interview. "Like what?"

Normani put a spoon of mushy cereal in her mouth and quickly swallowed. There was no need to chew long. "Just...stuff."

Dinah came out of the bathroom and walked into the living room, which was right next to the dining room. She overheard the conversation and decided to butt in. "You've been moping around here for over a month. It's starting to get annoying."

Normani snapped, "You've been annoying. I wish you would find your own place and get the hell out."

Dinah's mouth fell open, and Ally turned away to hide her silent laughter. Ally was glad that Normani was finally standing up to her ex. Dinah snatched her purse off the hanger and stomped to the front door. But, as soon as she opened the front door to go to work, she met a woman who had a closed fist raised as if she were just about to knock on the door.
"It's you," Dinah muttered lowly. She was not expecting this guest.

"I'm sorry. I'm looking for Normani. Does she live here?" a young woman inquired.

"I could have sworn you had light eyes," Dinah said.

Normani recognized the voice and walked to the front door to see who was there. "Camila?"
"Is this the bitch you've been fucking?" Dinah asked.

"Dinah, be quiet!" Normani angrily demanded. "Camila, what are you doing here? Did something happen? How did you find out where I live?"

"I saw your address written on a piece of paper laying on Lauren's nightstand," explained Camila. "I...I didn't know who else to go to. My sister hasn't really made any friends here."

"Is she okay?" Normani asked.

Dinah interrupted, "Oh, her sister must be the bitch you're fucking."

"Dinah, go to work!" Normani hollered. "Come inside, Camila. I know it's getting cold out there."

Normani helped Camila out of her coat and hung it on the hanger as Dinah gave her the side eye and walked out the door. You could hear her car screech off a little while later. Normani gestured for Camila to make herself comfortable at the dining room table where Normani could talk to her face-to-face.

"Uh...I know you haven't known Lauren long, but we're in quite a predicament. My sister has too much pride to ask for help," said Camila.

"I'm listening," said Normani.

"Lauren's talent agency ended her contract because they said she violated the part on conflict of interest. They said she was in talks with the competition. That's true, but that's something only her agent, Isaac, knew. I think he ratted out Lauren because she rejected him for the millionth time. To be honest, he's also been giving Lauren money for a long time when she needs it. He won't even return her calls now," Camila explained.