Chapter 1

Rose's POV

18 years later...

As I pick a few flowers in the woods, a soft breeze rustles through my dark brown hair. Behind me lies the border that marks the end of the Blackwood Forest and the beginning of the fae realm.

My mother always told me stories about the faeries as I grew up. Stories my father, Richard, told her when he returned from his travels.

Hardovia, the kingdom, of the fae has always peaked my interest. My hand clasped around the pendant hung around my neck as I recall my meeting with a fae-boy in the woods...

*Beginning of flashback*

The morning sun glimmered brightly through my window. I was only 8 summers old when I grabbed my basket and skidded off to the forest. My mother had told me another fae story before bed the previous night and I was certain I would meet a real faery in the forest.

I picked a few flowers as I walked deeper and deeper into the forest. My mother always warned of straying too far, but I was a child, curiosity over ruled my being.

I skipped through the forest, taking in the beautiful scenery around me. The forest always felt like my second home; like I belonged there.

I was on my way to the pond, the one I discovered the previous summer. My mother immediately taught me how to swim after I told her about my discovery. She was worried that I might fall in, yet I have grown to love swimming its pristine waters hence it was so quiet and peaceful.

I was recalling my swimming lessons with my mother when I heard the sound of splashing and screaming. My pace quickened as I hurried along the familiar road I've traveled on so many times before. When I stepped at the clearing I saw a figure struggling to stay above the waters of the pond.

Without a moment's hesitation, I leaped in to help the struggling figure. The being's spastic movements calmed and I knew that it was drowning. I quickly swam over to where the figure was mere seconds ago before diving down. My fingers ached as I stretched them as far as possible in order to save him as he was slowly sinking.

A sudden burst of energy surged through my as I grabbed hold of his hand and swam upwards. We broke the surface mere seconds later; tugging the heavy body behind me as I swam towards the bank and helped the boy out. His limp body flopped onto the ground before I fell down next to him, breathing heavily.

When I regained my breathing, I sat up and faced the boy I had just rescued. Upon closer inspection... I noticed he had pointed ears. A startled gasp escaped my mouth as realization dawned on me. The boy I just rescued... was a faery...

The sight of him not breathing caused me to rush to his side before pressing down my ear on his chest. Fearing the worst, I pushed down on his chest with both arms in hopes of saving him.

Nothing... I faithfully repeated the process until suddenly, he started to spurt out water. He coughed vigorously as I contemplated what to do. When his coughing fit subdued he noticed me.

"You saved me?" He asked curiously as he stared at me with crystal clear, blue eyes. With a simple nod of my head, I smiled shyly. The boy sported the same, small smile before he spoke.

"Thank you." Looking away from his face and tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

"It was nothing." I replied.

"No, it was everything. It was my life. How can I repay you?" He gratefully asked. I simply shook my head.

"You don't have to." The boy's blue eyes hastily darted around before falling onto a pendant he was wearing. He didn't think twice before taking it off and hooking it around my neck.