Chapter 7

A

A.C.

"Aubrey, um you okay?" Maggie breathed softly.

Tearing my eyes from the floor, I heave a disgruntled sigh. "I'm fine. Perfect. Cheery. Any other damn word in a damn Oxford dictionary that defines the very word okay."

"Whoa there, sister. Take it easy," she said, backing away with her hands out in surrender.

"This is a nightmare and you want me to take it easy!" I wailed.

She winces before choosing to look on the brighter side of things for my sake. "The event wasn't an entire failure...and we're doing damage control at the moment so don't sulk and be your incredible self and get things back in order."

"Maggie, I want to murder him. No wait, I want to strangle him and stab him multiple times through that black heart of his and then watch him die," I declared dramatically, huffing by the time I'm done admitting the criminal offences I would willing commit.

"Okay...I think someone needs a psychiatrist. When did you harbour psychopathic tendencies?" She asked, concerned for her own well-being and continues to back away from me.

"I don't want to be his errand girl, Maggie!" I whined with annoyance.

"It can't be that bad, he doesn't seem like such a vile character."

Giving a hysterical laugh, I shake my head. "That's because beneath all that charm and corporate persona lies a scheming mind."

"Aubrey, you sound bitter and insane. You need to go home and come to terms with what's happened. Nothing can reverse what's been done and you have a binding contract with Mr. Bradford."

"Thank you for being so understanding," I drawled out with oozing sarcasm before rising from the ground and grudgingly making my way to the parking lot.

I swear if he's late to pick me up, I'd be more dangerous than any Yakuza member...

"Aubrey!" Nick shouted from behind the wheel of his car, the window rolled down.

"Hello dear brother who ditched his one and only sister in the middle of the night with a practical stranger because his job was far more important than family," I stated acidly, my face impassive as I get into the car.

Nick winces from my tone, ready to dive into an explanation. "Ouch. Okay yeah, I deserved that but Bradford can't be categorised as a stranger per se."

"Why does everyone take his side? I'm the one stuck being an errand girl!" I grunted, wishing I were twelve so it'd be acceptable for me to have a dramatic hissy fit.

With the constant commuting and my recent dark mood, I had told Nick everything. He'd find out sooner or later and now my brother knows about the bet I made.

"Which is entirely your fault. Face it sis, you placed yourself in this predicament but I'm not here for that. Bradford dropped your car at my place this morning and left the keys. I'll take you home so you can ease up on all the crabbiness," Nick said, his eyes never leaving the road but the slight frown on his face meant he wasn't going to indulge me.