Chapter 46

A.C.

"The curtains are too bland," Edward commented, none too kindly.

My brother eyes the floor with disdain, shaking his head. "I don't know how I feel about these tiles, this place has quite a lot of discolouration." 

Sighing, I shield my eyes with the palm of my hand to hide my embarrassment. I could not face Lenny in the eyes, the dear old man has been laughing hysterically while clutching his stomach for ten minutes straight as I stand in a vacant apartment room red in the face.

I'm beginning to think his dentures might fall out, but he just bends forward to hold onto his knees while continuing to laugh. "You boys are something else. What do you think of the place, Aubrey?"

"It's – "

Cutting me off, both Edward and Nick step in front of me and shake their heads 'no.'

"The colors aren't right," Nick declared, glaring at the walls.

"Those curtains don't go with the floor or walls." Edward's voice is cold and it takes every ounce of restraint to hold back from shoving him and Nick out the door.

Groaning, I lean against the wall and give Lenny an apologetic look. Instead of hunting for a decent apartment, Edward and Nick have made the list of qualifications into an interior design pass or fail. This is either their way of getting back at me for dragging them along or I'm really attached to abnormal, idiotic men in my life.

Motioning for Lenny to give me a moment, I latch onto Edward's arm and walk him over to the kitchen. "Edward!" I cried out in exasperation, running a hand through my hair out of frustration.

Looking down at me in amusement, he takes my hand and turns me around to face him. "What? Why are you looking at me like that, Brie?"

"Because you and Nick need to leave," I bit out coldly, trying not to fall for the look he's giving me.

Musing over my demand, his lips form into a hard line but the amusement in his eyes never leaves. "How come?"

"As if you don't know. I'm going to find a place myself since you and my brother seem to have plotted against me," I complained indignantly, fed up with their games.

Placing a dramatic hand against his chest, he tries feigning ignorance. "Who? Me? I would never..."

"As much as I love you Edward, I don't trust you so please, don't bother with the jokes."

"But I wasn't kidding, the discolouration of the place is unsettling," he remarked defensively.

Crossing my arms in disbelief, I give him a firm look. "Something a bit of paint can fix."

Pointing in the direction of the bathroom not too far from where we're standing, he looks at me accusingly. "And those tiles? Have you seen the bathroom tiles?"

"He's right sister, I would not do my business in there while having to stare down at those tiles." Emerging from the next room, Nick nods in agreement with Edward and they share a look before high-fiving one another.

"What did I ever do to be stuck with you two?" I groaned out, disgruntled.

Scoffing, Nick moves from Edward's side to wrap an arm around my shoulder. "Hey, you chose him, me you're stuck with. You don't have a choice when it comes to me."

Annoyed, Edward's eyes zero in on Nick's hand as he steps closer to my brother. "Yes she does, she could disown you as her brother."

"Don't push it, Bradford. I don't like what you're implying and don't even get me started with you. I'm pretty sure you need my approval if you ever want to marry my baby sister." Silently glaring at each other, I take the opportunity to nudge Nick's arm aside and wedge myself between them.