Chapter twenty-four: Too late

It was nighttime by the time I'm done training for the whole day with my new sword (Feels a bit heavy, but I'll get used to it, just going to watch my back if you know what I mean). The Dragonsmith led us to a room that he never used for a thousand years (Because he's too tall and the room is quite small). "Sorry if this is . . . um . . . inappropriate for your comfort, but you'll get used to it." We watched as Fargos the elf fixed three mattresses and placed a blanket on top. At least it had neither termites in it. "Thanks for the hospitality," Claes lifted his head to meet Rhoamon's eyes.

Rhoamon laughed, "You should've thanked me before, silly little blond man."

"Seems a perfect place to sleep in the dark," Chloriette wasn't bothered by the room.

"I hate the dark," Lenard hissed.

Later on, Rhoamon lets us borrow his lamps, pillows, and his ginormous blanket. I didn't even realize that this room had an open window, letting the cold wind in. I should have brought my scarf here. Better take note of that in my head.

All of them were asleep as the moon gleamed up in the ocean sky. I glanced at my watch necklace. Eleven fifteen, but still couldn't sleep. I don't know if it's because I don't want to dream-travel again or if it was something else that bothered me the most: curiosity. I leaned on the open window. Nothing to do but watch the wild jungle.

Wild animals crawled from the darkness, flying creatures flew high above the sky, and pixies and fireflies showed off their colorful glow in the night. "I should rest if I were you." I heard and followed the sound to see Claes standing, arms on his back, scanning the horizon like I was doing.

"If you were me, you couldn't sleep at night when something keeps bothering you," I said. He let his warrior side down and let himself be "Claes" for a moment.

"What's the matter? You miss them?" he asked.

I nodded, "Every single day since I willingly entered the academy."

There was silence for a short moment before he let himself relax, letting out a sigh. "When I was a kid and before my brother got promoted into commander, I always looked at my reflection, wondering if our father and mother could still remember us."

"Are they Flash warriors?"

"Yes, very dedicated Flash warriors. As of matter of fact, the Vortecse family are a generation of Flash warriors."

"Wow," I reacted, "That's so cool! Why haven't I heard of them?"

"Because they're dead," Claes muttered. The awkward atmosphere came back. "Having a family of Flash warriors is both a blessing and a curse. We don't get to live like normal people do, even like the ones before becoming Flash warriors. We dedicated our lives to become the protectors of the people."

"What about your parents, what happened to them?" I looked at him this time.

"By the time I discovered that I have illusion magic and Gray has telepathic abilities, our story began just like yours. They sent us to the academy to learn using our powers. Though, they taught us proper discipline first because we were huge trouble makers. Sometimes they send us letters to know if we're doing fine and to make sure we're not causing any issues. Everything went well until that night."

I remembered the time when I saw him use his magic for the first time back at the academy. I asked him to do his magic just this once and then all of a sudden, reality spun and morphed into some kind of another plane of reality.

"Hey, I was wondering," I said as Claes and I walked into the garden after training. "What's your magic?" Claes smirked and said, "It's not the best time to know it, yet." I walked faster to block his way. "Come on, you know the magic of your students, why can't we know yours?" I demanded. First, he sighed and looked down before he looked up. "I'm sure it's not that bad," I told him.