DISCOVERY

And now I'm pacing...

*************

I run to the front of my house holding back the tears. Wait why am I crying? I've don't even know his last name!

I sit down on the front step out of breath. I take everything in and try to get my head focused. Did I seriously just run away from my own party? That is just not to be done. I'll probably miss out on my own Happy Birthday song.

"Ella, please let me explain!" I hear him whisper. I look up to him and immediatly feel quite guilty. The poor guy, having to run chasing me.

"Okay, James. Go ahead." I say sighing. I'll only feel bad for the rest of the night.

"Rosie, well I really liked her. She was my first girlfriend. I asked her out mainly because my parents made me. They pointed out little bits about her. How she dressed, what she looked like, her smile, all the things that really didn't matter. So with my parents forever pointing this out I feel in love with the outside rather than what was below the makeup and clothes and accesories. But she didn't love me, all she loved was money. That was all she cared about. But I don't have any money, I'm poor as hell so she was cheating on me all throughout the relationship and now I know why. But seeing you, with your fiery temper and your wild blonde hair, your determination to not let anyone walk over you, I like that shit. So that's the reason why basically." He says looking at me. I could tell he was hurt and I understood what he was talking about as it has happened to me before.

"Same thing has happened to me. My worst enemy, Alan Crookham tried to use me for my money but it didnt work. Now my parents are trying to set me up with another time timewaster!" I say sadly.

Right there James put his arm around me. I smiled at his warmth and snuggled up to him.

"We should seriously be heading back, Ella. Tris, Con and Brad will be wondering what has happened!" I hear James say. It snaps me out my daydream instantly. I nod as he gets up and reaches out his hand which I kindly take in mine and get up.

"Let's go."

*************

"Ella Coventing! Where have you been! You were meant to blow out your birthday candles ages ago!" My mother whisper-screams at me. James looks at me horrified. I don't understand why though. Was there something on my face?

"You're a Coventing? But I'm a McVey! We can't mix!" James says to me when my mother was out of earshot.

"What! How come you are here! You weren't invited!" I cry out. Perfect. The guy I've actually liked for a while is a member of my families pure hated breed.

"Tris dared me. Besides it's a masquerade ball, noone could see my features anyway so I knew noone would recognise me!" He protests putting his hands up.

"But I guess since we're not allowed to even talk to each other anymore, I'll have to do this whilst I can..." He says. Right there he leans in and closes the gap between our faces.

This night is sparkling...

*************