Chapter 5: The Death of Adrian Hall (Part 2)

Old Dick Ingk ran a huge amount of unnoticed crime. He had a gambling syndicate, who, if they didn't win, would always do a police raid of the ticket shop, and steal heals of lottery tickets while doing so. As such, the syndicate seemed to win something at least every two weeks. Then there was the baker. Ingk was a fan of custard tarts, and would often steal them from the local baker under the guise that his goods were considered 'too dangerous', 'too unhealthy' or even once, 'too bland'. The baker was a dull man, he didn't see the scam. Dick was eventually arrested though, one day he got greedy, he was receiving too much of a small share from the syndicate, so he decided to kill the guy who was contributing the least tickets, Teng Lagtog. After Teng's death, Dick was investigated, and sure enough, found guilty. He was sentenced to twenty years in the New Leeds civic prison, leaving a new space for chief of police. Beverly Haysley filled that position, and of course, she ended up corrupt too.

It was like a curse among the chiefs of police, in fact, no chief had served more than three years since 1953. Chief King, the current chief, seemed quite good though. Although being his third year, there was a lot of worry about the 'three year curse' coming and leading him to the side of crime. In King's first year as chief, it wasn't an easy year for the police department. There were five cops arrested for confiscating drugs for personal use, and one found to be stealing money from innocent suspects by charging an 'innocence fee'. Some people actually managed to fall for that. An eerie coincidence was that all of those arrested cops had a background in engineering, they were the most intelligent cops in the station at the time, as a matter of fact. That was the year Headgear was recruited in the detective department, and since that year, no other cops have been found to be corrupt or law breaking.

Meyer helped the paramedics carry the body of Adrian outside, making sure that no other gym patrons could see it. He was loaded into the back of an ambulance and taken away, to a place that was none of Meyer's or Headgear's concern. Meyer asked, "Well Johan, we've got to go back to the station, but seeing as though our car broke down, what do we do?"
Headgear thought, knowing he was being tested, "We've got to go back via train."
Meyer said, "Correct, and who's going to pay for it?"
"I am sir."

Meyer looked behind them at the empty spot the cookies vendor was stationed before. He grumbled, "Told you he was a fake one, fake ones always leave after a bit. They never want to get caught. They run from their problems, like cowards."
Headgear asked, "What happens when they can't run anymore?"
"They attack their pursuers. And that is why, and write this down in your notebooks by the way, that is why we go undercover."