Field Study - A Road Towards Being a Teacher

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BABY STEPS<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Field Study Seminar:

Gateway to both Heaven and Hell

I’ve been to many seminars before, but just like every other seminars I attended, I always get bored. I don’t know why, maybe because my system doesn’t like to listen for long hours and do nothing. But I know that this seminar will open its doors towards heaven at the same time, the door towards hell.

            Maybe I am just over acting and so naïve about this matter, but I really think that every time you explore something or anything, doors will open for self growth at the same time, the hardships that were incorporated upon it.

Heaven is a place on earth…

Last July 05, 2013, the most waited event of all students who are in third year and studying Education had arrived.

The first thing that pops into my mind that moment is that, “Is this for real? Nararamdaman ko na ang pagkasabik na bumalik sa Ramona (my high school alma mater), I am so excited!” And this also marks a step closer on being a teacher, an educator, and a life changer. Flashbacks happened when I started to enter the rooftop, many things flashed back starting from my first footstep on this university when I took the UPCAT (where I passed the exam, but failed to enter the course I chose), until my application and telling that I would take up Bachelor of Secondary Education Major in Biological Sciences, with pride.

“The K-12 program is not entirely new. We put in together all the experiences, all pilot tested initiatives and all the other experiences of all other regions, divisions, and schools, we had tried to put together in one program that brings in all the best practices of our teachers, our  administrators and our curriculum writers.” –DepEd Secretary Brother Armin Luistro.

Highway to hell…

            Some of the 4th year education students that I know warn me that FS consumes a lot of time, energy and effort, and they were right. I realized that aside from the Field Study courses, other Professional Education subjects are somewhat demanding, especially Educational Technology, with Ma’am Galingan being the teacher, this semester really is a highway to hell. But I am happy that I survived the hardships my subjects gave me, somehow, but I hope I will make it to the cream of the crop, to be a dean’s lister.

            Any adventures we had in life, even if it is on high or low, we must learn from it, to be better or even at least change us somehow. Well it really is true that the Field Study Seminar is the gateway to both heaven and hell; but I managed to enjoy both of my journeys.

Teaching Strategies for

K12 Science

            Actually there is no strategy that is perfect or best because there are no two learners that are alike, they may have the same level, but their thinking skills and prepared way of learning varies from one person to another. It is the job of the teacher to compromise and use different strategies for different types of learners depending on their topic or lesson, where the strategy that will be used should complement or should be in context.

            Here are some of the strategies we had discussed, which can be useful in future use.

·         Strategies for transformation

a.    Sci-awit

-       Sing your whole heart out with songs, which has modified scientific lyrics to fit into any topic, this could be a good motivation even  just an activity