Chapter Ten

[This is the newly re-written version of this chapter]

Over the weekend, the swelling in my face had gone down enough that I was able to cover my bruises almost completely with a thick layer of foundation. Even though my entire year level already knew what happened – Paige and Holly had been proud of their handiwork and felt the need to let everyone know – it felt better knowing I could hide the evidence.

It was too bad that Alex knew the whole truth, evidence or not.

"Are you sure you're okay?" he repeated for the third time that morning, concern etched into his features. He'd stuck by me in every class we had so far and it was strange. I wasn't used to spending my days not utterly alone.

"I'm sure," I replied with a false smile.

Alex sighed dejectedly. "I wish you'd tell a teacher or something. Those girls shouldn't get away with what they did to you."

He'd been saying that same thing all morning. I kept telling him that everything was fine, that it was better I didn't say anything, but he refused to believe that. It was both frustrating and endearing at the same time.

When the bell rang for recess, he followed me out to the courtyard. He was still working hard at becoming my friend, but I wasn't going to change my mind. I couldn't trust anyone, even Alex. Even if I wanted to more than anything in the world.

I don't need a friend. I'm better off on my own.

"I just want to help," Alex said softly. He bumped his shoulder with mine, a friendly gesture that sent my mind spiralling.

"Why?" The word slipped out of my mouth before I could stop it.

Alex's brows furrowed. "Because it's the right thing to do. You're being bullied and that's not okay." His voice was filled with so much sincerity that it made me almost second guess my decision to not allow to be my friend. Almost.

I held his gaze, something I wasn't usually confident in doing. "You're the only one who seems to care, and I don't know what to make of that."

A wide grin slid on to Alex's lips. "I'll take that as a compliment."

I was about to smile back, a real smile this time, when a shadow fell across us. I looked up and any trace of a smile slipped away.

"Adorable. The freak has found a friend," Max sneered.

Paige stood beside him with a smirk plastered on her face. Several of the things she was wearing were not part of the school uniform. I wasn't sure how she got away with it. Our school was fairly strict when it came to what we could and couldn't wear.

Alex rose from the wooden bench we were sitting on. As the two boys stood face to face, I noticed that Alex was a least a few centimetres taller than Max. That didn't seem to faze Max, though. He didn't even baulk at Alex.

"Get lost," Alex said firmly. "You've already caused Lacey enough problems."

Amusement swirled in Max's dark eyes. "I've caused Lacey problems? Interesting." Max's eyes darted to mine. "Is that right, Lacey? Am I causing problems for you?"

Words became lodged in my throat and my pulse increased. Once again, I was rendered speechless.

You are so weak, a voice hissed inside my skull.

I couldn't help but agree.

"Lacey, am I causing problems for you?" Max repeated, raising his eyebrows.

"Just leave her alone," Alex interjected, his face hardening. "Can't you see she's upset?"

Max laughed. It was a harsh sound that made me want to cringe. "She's a loser, that's what she is."