Never Late

~Just a filler for whats coming.~♪

I wake up with a head ache and a sore arm. Justin isn't in the room and the door's closed. I roll over and look at my phone.
"12:26?!" I say aloud, shocked. I'm going to be late for work! I have to be there by 1... Shit shit shit!
I jump up and look in the mirror, noting the bruise on my shoulder, wonder where it came from, then I remember dad. I sigh and throw on a black sweater with dark skinny jeans and black Timberlands. I have no way to get to work except to run, so I dash outside, carrying my now empty bag except for my make up and a few other things. I grab my phone and notice my dad's truck is still parked outside. No...
I walk out of my room, dialing Charlie's number. Dad is in his usual spot on the couch, so I wake him up.
"You're late for work Richard." I say as he opens his eyes.
He looks at his watch, "shit." And then he runs to his room. Charlie answers.

"Hey doll."
"Hey there Charlie..."
"What's up?"
"I need a ride... I can meet you halfway."
"Yeah, no problem. On my way now."
"Thank you soooooo much!" I say, happy.
"No problem. Why aren't you already here like usual?"
"Long night and I overslept."
"Wanna talk about it?"
"Not now, maybe later."
"Alright then. You know how into find me."
"Yeah." I notice Justin walking a towards the house as I leave. "Charlie, I gotta go, but I'll see you soon."
"Alright, take care."
"You do the same."

I hang up and throw my phone in my bag, then stop and wait for Justin.
"Good Morning sunshine." He smiled and patted my bad shoulder. I yelped and jumped back. "Yikes, sorry about that dear." He clenched his jaw together and I shrugged, "its fine. Just a little sore."
"Yeah, here." He reached in his pocket and pulled out a bottle of small red pills.
"Uh, what are those?''
"Pain killers." He offered me one and I took it.
"Thanks." He nodded and I took it with a swallow of water. "I gotta go to work, so I'll see you later."
''Alright."

Charlie is waiting for me at the gas station and its 12:43. I smile and walk over, feeling sort of fuzzy.
"Hey." He smiles, opening the door for me.
I don't answer, but instead, just smile and buckle up.
We ride to work with saying anything, and sitting in complete silence.

I start working immediately, with any hesitation. The customers were light and my shift went easy. About halfway through my shift, I took lunch and went in the lounge. Charlie was talking with an angry customer, so I figured now was my chance to be alone. I sighed and sat back in the sofa, closing my eyes. A hand patted my head. "You're doing well sport." Justin's voice said, sitting beside me.
He smiled as I opened my eyes. "Tired? Those pain killers knock you out after the first few times." I smile and nod. He keeps talking. "There's a party tomorrow night and I really think you should take off work and tag along."
I look at him and raise an eyebrow, "you want me to come to a party?"
"Yeah!" His smile brightened.
I shook my head, "I'll try. But you have to figure out how we're going to get there."
"Done." He pulled out his phone and stood, "I'll see you later."
I smile as he walks away then try to relax again. Charlie walks in and sits beside me, looking at me intently.
I look at him and he frowns, "Wanna talk?"
I sigh and lean my head on his shoulder, "its my dad..."
Charlie nods almost like he knows and I sit up, showing him my shoulder. He frowns deeper and touches it gently. "He hit you?
"More like threw me, but yeah."
He nods and pulls me into a hug. Somehow, like the baby I am, I start crying. My boss was great, really a good friend. After my break was over, Charlie kissed my forehead and wiped my cheeks.
"Just six more hours. Take a break whenever you need it. I want you to know you're safe here."
I nod and walk back out, pouring drinks. A few friendly faces sat down and we talked a bit about whatever we could.

Closing time came hurriedly and I wasn't ready to go home. Charlie locked the door and I just sort of sat at the bar, staring at the wall. He came up behind me and hugged me, and sort of held me for a few moments.
"You can come stay with me if you want." He lets go of me and I shake my head.
"No, I can't... My dad is off tomorrow, so I have to be home... Can I take tomorrow night off?"
He thinks for a minute and nods, "yeah, I'll just call in Kelsey or something."
I smile and thank him as we walk out to his car. As soon as we're outside, he lights a cigarette.
"Haven't taken a pill since the day we talked."
I smile and hug him tightly. "I'm proud of you." I kiss him on the cheek and get in the car.

When we get to my house, the lights are off and I smile, then hug Charlie. "Thank you."
"No problem. Whenever you need anything, just let me know."
"I will." I get out of the car and walk inside, and when I turn back, Charlie's gone.