Chapter 11

BACK AT THE SGC

Jonas is sitting in the oberservatory room. He felt helpless, but he didn't want to leave his teammates side. So he sat and just stayed as close as he could. He could hear Frasier, through the speakers.

"Blood pressure's holding 80 over 40. I wanna do a manual and uh, get me the results of her latest bloodwork." Janet said. Trying to make Sam as comfortable as she could. Jack just sat with her. The virus had yet to hit him as hard as it did Sam, but it was inevitable. Either way he wasn't going to leave Sam's side. So he stood close.

Hammond entered the Observatory room.

"How's she doing?" He asked. Concerned for his solider and most of all friend. For he loved Sam like a daughter.

"They're doing everything they can, Sir." Jonas replied. But did not sound too convincing.

"We talked to the Tok'ra. They said this might be beyond their help, but it being Sam, Jacob is on his way and they're sending someone" Hammond said.

"Their best chance is Aniya, Sir. She managed to halt the virus completely in the rest of us." Jonas said, wishing Aniya would heal quickly herself as to save his friends.

"Why hasn't she been able to stop it in herself?" Hammond asked, still trying to catch up on everything that went down in Antartica.

Frasier heard his question over the speakers.

"From what I've been able to learn so far, Sir, the virus ultimately acts like cerebrospinal meningitis by attacking the brain. Despite the physical similarities, Aniya brain chemistry seems to be quite different from ours. I suppose it's possible she's able to trigger an immune response in us that she can't muster in herself once the disease reaches an end stage." Fraiser said, adjusting Sam's IV.

"What are the odds she'll survive?" asking for selfish reasons, but nonetheless asking.

Fraiser shook her head slightly. Jonas and Hammond look at each other. As far as they knew right now, Aniya was Sam and Jacks only hope.

Hours had passed. There was nothing they could do for Aniya. She slipped away in her sleep. Sam and Jack were in the infirmary quarantine. Jack just sat with her holding her hand. Hammond was watching from above. Jack had some explaining to do, but now wasn't the time for it. Jack could sense him watching. He felt he needed to explain himself.

"Sir...I..." Jack trailed off. Not knowing how to start.

"Jack...we will have plenty of time to discuss. Right now getting you two back to health is what matters" Hammond saying.

Jack just nodded.

"Jaa-cck." Sam could barely get his name out.

"Hey..hey.. I'm right here" He said quickly coming to close to her.

"Aniya..how is she?" Sam was in and out of it. She had no idea Aniya had passed.

"She's gone Sam. They tried everthing" Jack said. "But they've contacted the Tok'ra. Your dad is on his way too" He said. He wasn't to happy to hear he was coming knowing he had to explain how he got his daughter pregnant but nonetheless he was coming.

Tears strolled down Sam's face. She knew Aniya was their only hope. How could fate be so cruel.

"Ja-ck....I...i just need you to know....I love you..I always have and always will" Sam said softly. She knew mics were in the room, but she couldn't think of dying and not sharing her heart with him one last time.

"Hey..hey....i love you too...but there will be plenty of other times you can tell me that..." He leaned into her ear as to make sure the mics couldn't pick up what he was about to say "and show me" he said. Jack was always known for making light of any situation.   

Even death.

Sam tried to laugh but didn't have the strength. She gave him a smile, and reached up to touch his cheek. He took her hand and stared into her eyes.

Fate had a funny way when it came to these two. But if anyone could make it out of a horrible situation it was Sam and Jack. Or had fate finally dealt them the last hand.

BACK AT THE GATE ROOM

Hammond waited for Jacob to come through the gate. He knew he was going to want answers as to the current condition of his daughter.

Jacob came through the gate, along with Thoran. "Where is she?" is the first question he asked.

"Jacob, before you go in there like a bull in a china shop.." Hammond said, but was quickly cut off.

"Jonas caught me up to date, George. I just need to see my daughter" Jacob said.

Hammond knew how much he loved Sam, so with no further questions, he led them to the infirmary quarantine.

They suited up. They didn't know if this virus could affect the Tokr'a, so they were playing it safe.

When they walked in, Jacob gasped. Sam looked horrible. It was as if death was at her door.

Jack immediately stood up.

"Jacob" is all he was able to get out. He was starting to feel sicker as well, but wasn't saying anything Jacob ignored him, Jack didn't blame him.

"Hey kiddo" he said, immediately. But Sam had lost consciousness.

"Her condition?" They asked.

"We are trying to make her as comfortable as possible. There's not much more I can do" Frasier said, tears swelling up in her eyes.

"We will try to do whatever we can" Thoran said, pulling out the healing device. Jacob moved to the other side, where Jack was an took his place. Jack stood back, but as he did, lost his footing.

"Sir..." Janet immediately said. The med team came to his assistance.

They had already placed a gernie in there, since Jack would not leave Sam side, only this time, Jack was restricted to it. The fever had overtaken him, and he couldn't fight it any longer.

Jacob took the healing device that Thoran was using on Sam, and switched places with him. Thoran then went to Jack and started the process on him as well. No one knew if this would work, all they could do was hope and pray that fate would be kind and give this couple and this unborn child a fighting chance.