Windows

The sound. It came almost every night. It terrified me. I lay in my bed, the clock read 1:28; right on schedule... like always. I didn't have to take a peek to see what it was. I knew what it was. Actually, I really don't know what it is. Silence filled the room. I was utterly confused, the sound had ended as quickly as it came.

"H-Hell-l-lo," I mustered out. No response.

I gathered up all the courage I had left in my system to make sure it was gone. My steps on the carpeted floor made quiet creaks as I moved towards the other end of my room. I hesitated; my mind was filled with thought and worry. With one burst of courage, I slowly peeked out towards the window.

There it was, simply standing there peering through my window. It was so dark; I don't think it could see me. Minutes felt like hours as it.. just... stared. Then, without any warning, it slowly turned its head and faced me head on. I launched myself back onto my bed with my arms covering my head, whining like a baby.

The banging returned, but louder and more frantic. I tried to scream, but my throat wouldn't obey. Then, just like earlier, the sound was gone as quickly as it came. I once again mustered the courage to look and see if it was gone, Was it really was gone I wondered? I wondered. I breathed a long and heavy sigh of relief before turning around to return to my bed. Then something happened that made my heart stop. Something tapped... my shoulder.

Sweat started to form on my face. My breathing quickened and sharpened. With a gulp, I slowly turned around. I wasn't staring at a monster or anything like that at all. I was staring at myself.