2

All throughout my high school years, I had dated steadily, one boy named Thomas Castleman. He wasn't considered a hottie by most girls at my school.  As a matter of fact, they probably wouldn't look twice at him. Maybe that was a good thing, in my case. It kept female competition away. The most important thing to me that I found most attractive about Thomas, was his sense of humor and intelligence. He was always a gentleman towards me, which seemed to be a rarity these days in boys. There was no trace of bad boy in him or dangerous, unpredictable edge about him that most girls seemed to go for at my school or at least dreamed about. To most girls, they might have found him bland for their taste.

I always sensed that Thomas's feelings for me were far more deeper for me than mine were for him. So, it was no surprise when he decided he wanted to go to the same college as me and continue an exclusive romantic relationship with me.

During Rush week, Thomas was my escort for the event. Tara Sanchez was one of the most popular girls on campus and was the main coordinator of the Chi Chappas Sorority. all of us new girls looked up to her and took what she said seriously. We took what she said to us to be sincere. The day after the party, I sat on the outside steps of the sorority house, when I noticed Tara come up the steps to greet me.

" Hey, Charlotte. Did you have a good time last night ? "

" Immensely !  Did you enjoy yourself as well ? " I asked

I was just practically overjoyed that she actually remembered my name and acknowledged me.

" It was so-so. I never got to meet your date, what's-his-name and what fraternity is he from ? " Tara asked.

" Thomas isn't part of any fraternity. He isn't into any of that. "

Tara sat next to me and spoke in a hushed tone, " One thing you should know, Charlotte, is that you have a certain potential. I can see you going certain places in this sorority and obtaining opportunities other girls would love to have if they were in your place. I'd hate to see that potential go to waste. As long as you're dating a guy like the one you're with, you'll never rise to the full potential you have. Sometimes it really matters who you date as it is what you do.... if you know what I mean. I can see from a distance what a nice guy he must be but you can do so much better. You should actually date someone that fits in with the scene. If he's an active member of a fraternity, then he should at least play in sports. Is Thomas in any sports ? "

" No, he isn't the athletic type. He has asthma. "

Tara sighed, what seemed a pitiable sigh.

" Oh, that's a real shame. Did you know there are plenty of male athletes in history that have had asthma, such as Greg Louganis, Dennis Rodman, Jerome Bettis who played for Notre Dame, and was named NFL Rookie of the Year and played 13 seasons in the league, Pete Vanderkaay who once won a bronze medal for the swimming competition in the past Olympics. Even, Emmet Smith of the Dallas Cowboys had asthma. They never let their asthma affect their potential to achieve greatness. They didn't put limits on their lives because of their asthma."

" No, I had no idea. "

"Are you really serious about Thomas ? "

" Thomas and I have been together since our high school years. He really cares a great deal for me and supports me in anything I do. "

" If he's such a great guy like you say he is, then he should consider your needs. I realize how much you want to be a part of the Chi Chappas and am really happy you joined. And I appreciate how serious you take your studies but to be a part of the Chi Chappas, you'll never fit in completely if you're dating an outsider, like Thomas. "