4

As I gave it more thought, I realized it wasn't Thomas they wanted to punish. It was me. It  had to be Tara who masterminded this. She had never wanted me in the Chi Chappas in the first place but because of my mother she had been forced to accept me begrudgingly. I sensed Tara was someone who didn't like being told what to do. So she planned her revenge and concocted this evil plan. It was her way of forcing me out of the sorority. Everyone knew how well she could manipulate Bruce or Leo to do anything she wanted. Dexter liked doing things to please Leo. Dexter also had a hatred for me because I had refused to have sex with him the one time we went out. This was his way of getting back at me. This was also the reason the  hazing rules were changed, allowing girlfriends to participate in the hazing with their boyfriends. They all saw how desperate I wanted to be accepted by Chi Chappa and I'd seized any opportunity to prove that Thomas and I belonged.

" I'm so sorry. I never knew things would end up this way. "  I said out loud.

I didn't get a response from Thomas. And I didn't hear him wheezing or even breathing anymore. I hoped he had fallen asleep.  I kept thinking to myself at some point someone would have to let us out or someone would want their car back. They couldn't just leave us here to rot ! Those thoughts were the only thoughts that kept me calm and hopeful. Hours passed and I had no idea what time it was. The trunk became dark and hot. It was even more stifling. There was an odor I couldn't identify that assaulted my nose in the worst way. It was so rank that I could only describe it as smelling like mildew or something that was rotting or spoiled. I had never in my life felt claustrophobic but right now I wanted out  so badly. I needed to feel the ground beneath my feet and smell the fresh grass. Usually hazing pranks lasted only an hour and pledges would be released and taken to a swearing in ceremony. It felt like Thomas and I had been in the car much longer than that. I know there would be no swearing in ceremony for him either.

" Thomas, are you alright ? " 

He still didn't respond. I moved closer to him. He didn't move at all.  All I could feel was his back against mine. He lay so still and quiet. Oh, please let him be sleeping, I silently prayed. Trying to think of anything else was more than I could handle at the moment. Eventually, sometime during the night, I must have passed out. The next time I woke up in the trunk was warmer. I could feel the warmth coming from the sun and small bits of light were showing through the edge of the trunk. I began to hear voices on the outside and started kicking the trunk as hard as I could. There was hope ! We'd finally be able to get out of here !