Chapter 5 - Concerts and Crashes

Chapter 5

I ran back into the house, a gazillion different thoughts running through my mind at the same time. How could they do that to me? Why would they do that to me? But mostly, how can one boy be so... words could honestly not describe the loathing that I felt for him right then. I tear open the front door, anger rising up inside of me and run upstairs, feet pounding heavily on every step. I slam my bedroom door shut behind me, before dropping my wearing body down onto my bed with a whole lot of force, consequently causing the wooden frame to creak and shudder. I scream twice into my pillow; the angriest I've ever been in my entire life.

After my unexpected out cry, I sink in under the pastel coloured duvet, too mentally exhausted to think straight.

Jess. The girl I went to nursery, primary school, and high school with, shared baths when we were little, built the most humongous sand castle when were seven on holiday and the girl who pinky swore that she would never have a boyfriend "because girls are much better" when she was six. My dreams were flooded with memories of Jess through our friendship, replaying over and over in my head. Between each one, was an image of me sobbing my heart out-which was strange because I hadn't shed a single tear yet. My overwhelming emotion was decidedly anger and loathing towards them both and tears didn't even threaten to pour.

What felt like minutes later, Lucas appeared at my bedside and gently shook me awake. I yawned, stretching my arms out and making baby dinosaur noises. A quick glance told me that I'd been asleep for one hour straight. "How're you feeling hun?" Lucas inquired, face a mask of concern and frustration-hopefully not towards me.

"I've been better." I reply dryly, "Much better actually."

He sticks his lip out and pats my leg, "You really didn't see that coming did you?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" I peer at him through narrowed eyes, itching to know what he was implying.

He hesitated. "Well, Jess hasn't really been herself around us for some time and...boys in general I suppose. There's been no flirting or hair tossing for weeks. I guess I was more shocked than surprised when I saw her if that makes sense?" He explains, choosing his words carefully. I nod, "I guess that makes sense." He smiles, "Good. So do you want to sleep and I'll clear up down stairs or do you want to go back to the den?"

"I'll come downstairs now. I need filling with the rest of the junk food!" I joke weakly.

"Ok," He smiles and leaps up. "Lets go eat skittles!"

~

The whole Jess incident was three months ago now and both me and Lucas have moved on. She is completely in the past now. Since then a new girl has arrived at our school called Keira Greenwood. When she arrived Jess immediately tried to befriend her due to her sad lacking of them but it didn't last for long at all as they are both very different people. It's not that Jess still isn't popular -she is! It's just that she's lost her two closest friends, and the only ones she has left are the type of friends who like her because she's pretty. I would feel sorry for her, except any time I try to talk to her I feel a burning feeling of betrayal in my chest and my eyes swell up like they're about to start overflowing with tears. It's because of this that I mostly avoid Jess. People say that losing a lover is bad, but losing your bestest and closest friend is like losing apart of your soul. Especially when there's no way to fix your relationship.

Back to Keira Greenwood. You could say that she fills the empty spot in our group left by Jess. She's great -slightly crazy but hey, what's wrong with a little insanity every now and again? Lucas adores her -as does my little sis who latches on to her every word. In fact I'd say she's much more fun to be around than Jess ever was. Or at least, that's what I tell myself.