Chapter 4 - Movie Nights and Melodrama

Chapter 4 ~

The microwave bleeped noisily, signalling that I had to get off my lazy butt and retrieve the fifth bag of popcorn that we had been through tonight. All popcorn had been sweet (obviously) as salted is just gross. Jess had also brought over two packets of malteasers, one packet of galaxy minstrels, one packet of galaxy counters and a large packet of chocolate buttons. Lucas brought skittles.

If you hadn't already guessed: we were having a major getting-over-a-broken-heart-with-sappy-romcoms-and-fatty-foods movie night. It's at times like this that I realise how much I love my friends.

"I got the popcorn, guys!" I called as I poured the sugary, inflated vegetables (well, that's what popcorn is, isn't it?) into a striped blue and white bowl. All bowls that us kids are allowed to use have either stripes or spots on them, so we can tell them apart from the fancy bowls. My parents are weird when it comes to keeping things organised.

"Awesome!" Lucas replied, appearing in the doorway, "Now hurry up or you'll miss the starting!"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm coming!" I answered as I carried the popcorn into the den.

'The den' is what we call the spare room that our parents initially turned into a playroom for us kids, but then turned into a teenage room when we all started to grow up a bit. It's basically made up of a TV, a bunch of game consoles, three super comfy sofas, four luminous bean-bags, a pool table (given to us from one of Mom's friends) and two cute, little coffee tables. The walls are painted black and purple and covered in posters and the carpet is black to match. There's only one small window, which doesn't really let that much light in but the whole 'dark' theme is great when you're trying to watch a movie!

I sat down on one of the beanbags in between Jess and Lucas. They both leaned against me and I realised how ridiculous we must look to other people. After all, I was wearing my bunny onesie, Jess was wearing her cat onesie and Lucas was wearing his cow onesie (yes the boy has a cow onesie). But then I remembered that there was no one there to see us, and that onesies are amazingly comfortable!

On the floor by the TV lay an array of DVDs. They ranged from 'My Sisters Keeper' to 'The Proposal' and from 'The Notebook' to 'The Little Mermaid' (I know that 'The Little Mermaid' isn't exactly a rom-com but who really cares? It's still adorable!). We all snuggled down into our beanbags (mine the neon pink one) and hit play on the DVD player. After the seemingly endless run of adverts the wedding scene from the vow began to play. "Mmmm, I so want red velvet cake at my wedding." Lucas said, no doubt envisaging several other wedding fantasies.

"I don't know..." I pondered thoughtfully, "I think I'd rather have a more traditional one-either that or a Batman cake. I saw this picture on this app I have, of a cake that was half plain and traditional and half batman! It was pretty awesome!" I said nodding my head. Lucas rolled his eyes at me.

"Sometimes I really do not know why I am friends with you!"

I put a cheesy grin on my face tapped him on the nose, "It's because you love me, clearly."

"No, I don't." He frowned playfully at me.

"He so does, doesn't he Jessie," I said, nudging her with my elbows whilst giggling.

"Huh?" She said, looking around at us, confused. "Who does what?" She evidently had no idea what we were talking about.

"You okay?" I asked her, concerned that there was something bothering her. "You've been kind of distant all afternoon."

"I'm fine. Nothing is the matter, what are you talking about?" She asked, her brown eyes narrowing as she stared at me.

"Chill Jess! I was just saying you seemed a bit on edge that's all." I put my hands up to surrender. She sighed.