Home Sweet Home

Almost 7:00

As I crumple up my potato chip bag and toss it into the trash can. I can hear my mom pulling into the driveway. I jump onto the couch and cover myself with blankets.
As my mom reaches the door, I can hear her keys clanking on the door handle. She swings it open and it hits the wall with a "thud."
"Callie is that you on the couch? I thought I told you specifically you were going to school." She said standing in the doorway. " I know I know, but the only reason I came home was...." My voice trails off. Should I tell her? Or just say the teachers sent us home. I guess the truth is gonna get out somehow. " because Collin and I broke up, so I didn't feel I should finish out the rest of the day." I say.
"I'm really sorry to hear that honey, I am not going to blow up on this, it's no big deal." she replies as she sets her purse onto the counter.

"Thanks mom." is all I feel like saying.
"Hey while I have you here, are we going on a summer vacation?" I ask.
"Oh! yes we are, but I'm deciding to keep it a secret from you and your brother, I want it to be a surprise when you get there!" she answers.
"Sounds great." I say as I fold up my blankets and place them neatly onto the recliner.

I start towards my bedroom, when I hear my brother coming in through the back door. "Hey Sam." I say.
"Oh hey Cal, sorry about this morning, I was just in a bad mood." He said as he flicked a hair out of his eye. " No problem, we all get that way I guess." I answer back. 
I head into my bedroom, as I close the door behind me, I take a look at my vanity, and stare at all of my pictures. Ones of me and my dad before he died, a few of my mom and Sam, and there's even a couple of me and Collin at Homecoming. I toss my backpack beside my table, and sit on my window bench. Staring out at the stars. I bring out my bible and read a few of my daily verses. When I hear my mom yelling for me and Sam to come downstairs, I  my eyes and head that way. "COMING!" I yell.

As Sam and I sit at the bottom stair, mom is pacing back and forth In front of us. I give Sam the eye, kind of saying "What's up with her?" He shrugs his shoulders. " So as I told Callie, we are going on a 2 week vacation. I'm not telling you where we are going, but I'm sure your going to love it! I know this is kind of dropping a bomb, but we are leaving first thing tomorrow morning. I was too busy getting everything together to realize that I haven't told y'all yet!" She says.
"Wow. First thing tomorrow morning? We better start packing right away." I say. "Yeah, way to drop the bomb mom." Sam says as he lets out  a laugh.
" I love you too knuckle heads, and so does your dad." My mom says as she gives each of us a kiss on the forehead.

When I get back to my room, I bring out my huge suitcase. I pack a lot of shorts and T-Shirts, my bible study books, make-up, straightener, toiletries, A few bathing suits, some lotion and perfume. I move onto shoes, and pack all the ones I could think of. After adding a few more Pjs, and cute shirts, I sit on my suit case and force it to close.  I roll it against my dresser, and take my backpack and shove chargers, headphones, books, and other stuff for the ride to this mysterious vacation spot.

I stand back and look at my masterpiece. I make a few more adjustments, and I figure I'm all set for tomorrow.  I chunk all of my throw pillows onto the rug, and crawl into bed, I pull out my moms iPad, and turn on Supernatural, as I'm watching, I slowly start to fall asleep. So I close the iPad, and start to go to sleep, because tomorrow is going to be a long day.