Chapter Three

Moonpaw blinked slowly, and then raised her head to look around her. Her ears were ringing painfully, and her white fur was drenched and muddied. She was in some sort of den, and she was lying on a nest of slightly damp moss.

With a pang of fear, she realized someone, or something, was lying next to her. She could feel the warmth of another body, and she looked over, hissing in defense.

“Easy tiger,” Talonpaw mewed. He was licking his forepaw, as if he didn’t find it weird that she had almost been struck by lightning, and now they were sharing a den.

“What are you doing here, Talonpaw?”

“Ah, ah, ah. It’s Talonfur now.”

Moonpaw couldn’t help but show her admiration. “You were made a warrior?”

“Yeah,” he looked up kindly at her. “Will you be a warrior soon?”

Moonpaw looked bashfully at her paws. “I think so. Maybe in a moon.”

“That’s good!”

“So,” she said, trying to change the subject. “How did you find me?”

“I was watching you.” He said simply. “You were pretty close to the border, after all. Thought you might try and cross it again.” He teased.

“I didn’t know…I was kind of getting freaked out. I thought StarClan might be angry.”

“Well if they were, they still are.” He pointedly looked out the den entrance where a storm was still raging. Torrents of rain were pouring down, but Moonpaw had grown used to the sound. Thunder cracked overhead repeatedly, and every so often, lightning would slash the air. But in the warm den with Talonfur, Moonpaw felt safe and content.  

Moonpaw’s eyes drooped with weariness, and she laid her head on her forepaws. Soon she felt Talonfur’s strong tongue stroking her fur. She purred gently, and a feeling of peace spread over her. She didn’t have to worry about proving herself to anyone, getting her mother’s attention, or doing what her mentor told her to do. Talonfur accepted her for who she was, and now he was taking care of her. She felt a burst of warmth for him, and she curled closer to his side. Clan boundaries didn’t matter here.

Moonpaw slept dreamlessly, and the last thing she remembered before she drifted to sleep was Talonfur’s tongue rasping gently across her ears.  

“Wake up, sleepy head. What are you, a hedgehog?”

Moonpaw blinked the sleep away from her eyes and yawned. Talonfur was prodding her in the side, and he looked a little bit worried.

“What’s wrong?” She mewed.

“We stayed all night,” he murmured. “Better go back before our Clans come looking for us.”

“That,” Moonpaw meowed, “would be bad.”

Giving a luxurious stretch, Moonpaw rose to her paws.

“I’ll see you around then?” He murmured.

“I suppose.”

“No,” Talonfur mewed firmly. “Not just whenever the Clans allow it. I want to see you soon; here.”

Moonpaw purred. “How about in two sunrises?”

“That’s a long time…”

“I know. But we are going to need some time to recover from the storm.” Moonpaw looked around at the devastated forest.

“Okay. Two sunrises.” Talonfur gave her an affectionate lick, and darted off towards SwampClan.

Dizzy with happiness, Moonpaw barely even remembered to roll in something stinky before returning to the camp. Only two sunrises…

“Moonpaw!” Tornstripe meowed. “Where were you?!”

“Out there. I found a den to wait out the storm.”

“Oh good. Are you hurt? Can you help with repairs?”

“Yeah,” Moonpaw padded over to where Fernpelt was patching the nursery. “Need help?”

“Sure,” Fernpelt sounded tired. Moonpaw helped her carefully weave brambles into the nursery walls, ensuring that no predator could enter.

After helping with repairs until sun-high, Moonpaw went to the fresh-kill pile. A patrol had just returned, and it was obvious that the prey was still running fine, despite the storm.

Picking out a plump mouse, she settled down beside the apprentice den to eat it. After devouring it in a few famished gulps, she asked Tornstripe if there was anything else to do.

“No. You may rest for a while.” He mewed.

Even though Moonpaw had slept very well during the storm, she was surprised to find that she was actually exhausted. Collapsing in her nest, she found that she greatly missed the feeling of Talonfur’s pelt pressed against hers.

She tried to fall asleep, but she was too restless. And what if the lost cats returned in her dreams?

Never did two sunrises seem so far away.

((Thank you, thank you, thank you for reading!!!!!!))