Shame by Amelia_Rech

Still no sign of them!!

            SLAM.

            You throw open another door. Door after door. Hallway after hallway.

            Where are your friends, Yumi and Officer Kevin? Who knows?

            Yumi's an odd girl, so you should probably be searching the air ducts or something, but at the same time, Officer Kevin would probably talk some sense into her. He is an authoritative figure, of course.

            You open another door to see a hellish torture device, then immediately close it.

            You walk away.

            You're getting nervous. You were stupid to come back for them, and you knew it as soon as you reentered the building with the monster. But why come back anyway? Are you proving yourself, somehow? Showing the world that there is a line between those who say they would risk their necks, and those who would actually do it?

            Yes, that seems right. And you're on the side of those who aren't hypocrites.

            Too bad that side is lined up for the graveyards.

Finally, you've found them. They're tied into some sort of cocoon, much like a spider wraps its victims.

            Yumi attempts to shake her stringy, dark hair out of her eyes. She asks you to free them – a stupid request, since you'd do it anyway. It's why you've come back.

            “We gotta get out of here,” you say quietly, pulling out a knife to saw them out.

            The door slams shut behind you. You approach it warily.

            “This isn't funny, Kevin,” you tell the officer, jiggling the handle.

            It's trying to get you all into one place,you realize. Kevin couldn't have possibly closed the door and locked it.

            Your heart slows, then picks up speed.

            You hear a hissing sound.

            NO!

            You're beating the walls, as if that will help you get out. Your hands are shaking.

            No. Stop. Be logical about this.

            The monster can't even get to you in here. This is actually the safest place in the building.

            Yes, safe.

            A chill creeps up your spine. You feel like you're being watched.

            You look behind you quickly.

            “What's wrong?” Yumi asks. “Get us out of here!”

            Right. Your friends. Ignoring the creepy feeling of the room, you start to free Yumi.

            But there it is again.

            That hissing. It's coming from the walls.

            Scared now, you beat on the door again. Shake the knob. Cry out.