47

Davy scoffed. "You? Michael Nesmith? You love him?"

"Yes!" Michael cried. "Yes, yes, I love him! I love him!"

Davy rose an eyebrow. "How many girls did you rape? Are you even capable of love?"

The laughter was louder now. Everyone was laughing at him and they were all staring. Staring. Everyone was staring.

Michael cried and yanked at his hair. He sank to his knees and looked up at Davy.

"I regret it. I regret it so much, I, oh God—" Michael gasped. "My father...if it weren't for my father I'd never be in this mess!"

"Michael—"

"I regret it so much, Christ, fuck!" Michael looked up at the ceiling. Tears rolled down his cheeks. "I'm sorry! I'm so sorry, god damnit!"

Davy became uneasy. Other prisoners were approaching them. Michael had broken down—he wasn't the boss anymore. "Hey, Mike, mate it's okay. C'mon, I'll help you. Get up, please get—"

"I'm sorry!" Michael screamed. "It's all my fault! All my fault!"

"Michael!"

That wasn't Davy.

Peter broke through the crowd and yanked Michael, who'd practically gone limp, up by his arms. He stared at the prisoner with wide, concerned eyes.

"Come on, Nesmith. Let's get you out of here—"

"No!" Michael cried. He broke away from Peter's grasp. "Micky!"

"Michael—"

"I've got to save Micky!"