A Beautiful Memory of a Tragic Love Story

She was staring at the sky that night, the stars were reflecting her eyes, showing how wonderful she was at the party, and everyone’s eyes were on her. She was wearing a beautiful crimson dress and her small feet rested on those cute pink pumps which made her a bit taller. She wore little make-up and her hair was curly unlike in high school, her hair was jet-black straight. Nikki was wearing the precious silver bracelet I gave her on our first anniversary.

          Nikki noticed me staring at her, she approached me, she really stood out as if everyone was watching her every move. She walked like how a butterfly glided on a flower. She looked up at me and asked me how I was, I couldn’t look at her eyes because if I did, I’ll remember everything and I don’t want to remember.

          “Mr. Tyler Stevens, you’ve grown so much since the last time I saw you, you’re a successful CEO now. Your dream has finally come true.” She said in her sweetest voice. I remembered how she spoke so sweetly to me like a singer singing a lullaby but that was nine years ago…

          No, my dream didn’t come true; my dream was to be with her for the rest of my life. I couldn’t voice out my thought. I looked at her and her eyes were so peaceful and precious that money can’t buy. I remembered how she looked at me nine years back like how Juliet stared at her Romeo.

          “Yes, I have grown. How are you?” bitterness in my tone as I spoke to the woman I love most. She smiled so serenely at me and it dictated how she has done well in these past years. I remembered how she smiled at me once, her smile was like the moon shining ever so brightly at her world in the darkest nights.

We continued our little chitchat while the night was tilting into morning as I found myself missing every single thing about her. Bit by bit, I drown in her grace and beauty despite the fact that we have been separated for years.

          “Come on now Mrs. Stevens, Mr. Stevens is at the gateway, waiting for you” a good looking guy came up to us. I remember bitterly as she told me these words – “I like your surname, Tyler, it would fit perfectly on my name, Mrs. Nicole Stevens, so do you like it?” they were like Gabriel’s good news to Mary when I heard her say that, but not tonight, it sounded differently, she married a guy whose surname is same as mine.

          Nikki held out her hand to shake mine, she touched it so softly that I wanted to break down and cry. I remembered how she held my hand, she was like a heroin saving a life, or should I say, she was more of holding my heart than just holding my hand but that was simply nine years ago…

          Nikki walked away that night with a guy whom she spoke so sweetly as to me like a singer singing a lullaby, whom she looked at as to me like how Juliet stared at her Romeo, whom she smiled at as to me like the moon shining ever so brightly at her world in the darkest nights and whose hand she held as to my heart but that was nine damn years ago…

          I went to my apartment, dead tired from that night. I opened the TV to ease thoughts of Nikki. Breaking news appeared before my eyes: “A couple fought inside their vehicle resulting into a car crash. Wife found dead! The suspect named Bryan Stevens lost control when his wife, Nicole Stevens, demanded a divorce after seeing her lost love…”

And so I pray that her soul finds peace. I hope she knows how much I love her since nine years ago. Now Nikki remains as a beautiful memory of our tragic love story.

-- This is a story I made 5 or 6 years ago, I honestly don't remember. Anyway, I hope you find it good. Thanks for reading!