Chapter 2

Nishinoya

"H-How do I feel about you?" He echoed. Nishinoya could feel his face burning.

Has Asahi finally realized how I feel about him? I've tried to make it clear to him... But know that he might've actually realized how I feel, I'm terrified.

"Do you think the third years have what it takes to make it to nationals?" Asahi said, his voice drenched in discourage, "All of the first years have enough talent that they could surpass us in no time. I'm not sure if I can keep up."

I shouldn't feel relieved. Nishinoya thought bitterly as the weight lifted off his chest.

"Asahi, in my eyes the first years don't have anything on the third years. Without you guys, things would crumble. Now, we need you more than ever. They need the ace to look up to, to keep things together when things won't follow through. Dude, you're the most important player on the team," Nishinoya said and scooted closer to him.

"That's all the more reason for me to nervous. I don't want to let you guys down."

Silence drifted in like fog. Noya felt unpleasantly cold without his jacket on. He didn't know what to say, because he was afraid for the third years too. He didn't doubt Asahi's ability at all, but he was worried about how stressed he was.

Asahi sighed and let his hair down.

The more Noya thought, the heavier his heart became. He wanted to cry. He didn't want to lose Asahi.

"Noya-san?" Asahi said.

Nishinoya felt a tear roll down his face, and quickly looked away.

"Uh, s-sorry," he mumbled.

He felt a giant hand rest on his shoulder.

I'm so stupid! Nishinoya thought, Why did I have to start crying now?

"Yuu, I'm sorry if I upset you," Asahi said, patting him on the back, "I didn't mean to-"

"No! It's fine. I'm just... I'm..." He tried to finish but he started to cry.

Asahi moved closer to him and he felt his hand move to his side. The gentle giant was holding him close, and it was the most comforting feeling Noya ever had.

All of the frustration he'd kept inside him, all of the affection he'd felt for Asahi, he was crying out. He didn't want Asahi to leave. He wasn't ready to let him go. More than anyone, he wanted to fight for the third years as much as he could. If they lose, it's over.

"I'm sorry," Nishinoya spluttered, "It's not very cool of me to be crying like this."

He kept on crying, and he couldn't bring himself to look at Asahi. Asahi looked hotter than ever with his hair down. If he looked at him now he might completely lose it.

"We're not going to stop fighting," Asahi said, "They haven't seen the best we can do yet."

Should I tell him? I'm not going to be with him much longer. I should tell him while I still can. But, what if he hates me for the rest of the year because of it? Should I risk breaking the balance of the team? Things are so good right now, but I feel like he's slipping away from me...

"Yuu," Asahi said, still holding onto him, "I need to tell you something."

Nishinoya stopped crying, and it felt like his heart stopped.

"I know we've been friends all these years and we've had our ups and downs, and I'm afraid to say this because I don't want to ruin things. This must sound pretty weird but," he paused, "I feel like there's always been something more between us... Sorta like Daichi and Suga."

His heart started to beat again, fast. It was like a dream come true. It seemed unreal.

"Asahi, I've been wanting to tell you this for a while. You're not like everyone else on the team to me. I... I love you."

There were a few seconds where Noya felt like he'd drifted off into dead space. Nothing moved and all was quiet. It seemed like this could either be the end or the beginning and his fate was now in Asahi's hand.

Asahi held him tighter.

"I love you too, Nishinoya."