Chapter 3

Nishinoya

It was September now. Everyone was practicing as hard as ever. There seemed to be no end to their stamina, although it felt like Noya was about to break at any moment. He'd told Asahi about how stressed he was. Nobody else on the team knew. Burdening them was the last thing he wanted.

With the games starting back in October, he had to be strong as ever. If he couldn't keep up receiving the tough attacks from the other teams, the team would fall apart. Right now they were in perfect balance. If any of them stopped performing better, things would be shattered.

As Noya walked down the street, he hoped nobody would pay attention to him. It was still early in the morning, but if he wasn't careful he'd run into one of his teammates.

The mornings were getting colder as the summer turned to autumn. Sometimes, Nishinoya wished he could let the cold sink in like a poison.

He wanted something bad to happen to him. He didn't want to live so stressed out. He didn't want to upset his teammates because of his fear of losing. He wanted to have an "accident", so he'd never have to let them down...

I'm inferior. I'm weird. Hell, I like boys. There's something wrong with that. There's something wrong with me. But, I love Asahi... I know I do.

As he rounded the corner he saw the third years unlocking the gym. Daichi was talking expressively about something as he put the key in the lock, Asahi was in his own world, and Suga was looking at Daichi fondly.

It's time to be happy. Come on... Smile. It hurt more than usual to put a smile on his face. His mind hasn't recovered from his last train of thought.

Finally, he smiled and ran towards them.

"Guysss!" Nishinoya said running towards them.

Suga looked like he almost had a heart attack and clutched Daichi's arm.

"N-Nishinoya, what are you doing here so early!?" Suga stammered.

"I thought maybe you could help me with setting before everyone else gets here!"

"Oh, yeah, I'd be glad to."

Asahi patted Noya on the head as they went into the gym. His hand was warm.

When he looked up, Asahi smiled down at him. How could anyone see Asahi as intimidating? He's got those puppy dog eyes and that sweet smile...

"Hey you two," Daichi said with a smirk on his face, "Stop staring into each other's eyes and come help us with the net."

Noya felt his face catch fire. When he looked at the team dad he felt his stomach sink.

Sugawara walked up to stand next to Daichi and put a hand around the captain's waist. They both had cheeky grins on their faces, but they didn't look disappointed.

"Oh, come on," Suga said, "We know you two like each other!"

"H-How?!" Asahi said.

"Trust me, we can spot gays a mile away," Daichi said, wrapping his arm around Suga's shoulders.

Then, something clicked in Nishinoya's brain.

"Y-YOU TWO ARE GAY?!" He yelled, wondering how on earth he never made the connection.

"Don't act so surprised, so are you!" Daichi said, looking a little offended, "Also, lets just keep it between us that Suga and I are dating, okay guys? The other guys might not realize it yet. I think Tsukishima's kind've picked up our scent, but I still don't want it to be public info."

"Uh, y-yeah, of course," Nisinoya said, although he was still a little awestruck.

Sugawara was now looking at him with a concerned expression.

"Honey, are you alright?" Suga said.

He looked at Asahi, not knowing if he should say what he wanted to in front of him.

Well, I don't know how it could hurt...

"Um," he began, and averted his eyes from them, "I love Asahi, but I've never really meant anyone else before that's gay. It feels wrong... I know that my love for Asahi is true, but I'm afraid, like I'm doing something that I shouldn't be but I can't help it."

He didn't want to look at them. He regretted every word he said. At the same time, he was glad he spoke the words that he's been dying to say.

"Nishinoya," Daichi said, "There's absolutely nothing wrong with liking other guys. You don't have to feel afraid to tell us about how you feel. Trust me, I've thought the same way as you are when I fell for Suga. You aren't weird, you aren't defective, you're perfect in our eyes."

He looked up and they were all smiling at him, even Asahi. He wasn't angry that Noya was feeling strange about realizing he's gay. There was love in his eyes.

"Most people aren't gay. Lots of people don't speak of it kindly, but trust me, you aren't 'wrong' for being gay," Suga said, "And also, it's okay to like both boys and girls. You can still think Shimizu is hot and be in love with Asahi."

"Really?" Nishinoya said, as more stress was leaving him.

"Yep!" Daichi said, and let go of Suga, and he moved towards the net, "Now come on and help us."

Nishinoya went over to the other side of the next and began to put it up with Asahi. They didn't say anything to each other, but his presence was calming enough that he didn't have to say anything at all.

From the other side of the court he could hear Daichi and Suga talking. Their talking worried him until he finally picked up Suga saying, "He's our bisexual son. I'm so proud."

For the first time in a long time, Nishinoya felt like he wasn't inferior in any way. He felt like he was himself, and that was enough.