Loyalties Are Divided

Anakin leads Luke out of the training area and into a small kitchen area. He looks through some cabinets and pulls out a few pieces of fruit. He tosses an apple to Luke and starts peeling an orange.

"So, Luke. What have you been doing for the last... I don't know... 10 years?" Anakin asks awkwardly, popping a small piece of the orange fruit into his mouth.

"I've basically just been helping the rebels to destroy the empire," Luke says through a mouthful of apple, swallowing loudly.

"Why did you join the rebellion?"

"Because... I don't know actually. I knew some people who were part of the rebellion and I joined because of them," he answers, not wanting to give out the information on his sister.

"Luke. You know that being part of the empire makes the rebels our enemies... Right?" Anakin asks hesitantly, quickly eating another part of his orange.

"Ya. I don't know..." Luke mutters sadly.

"Luke, they are our enemies! We have to destroy them and return order to the empire."

"My friends are there though... I don't know if I will be able to!" Luke declares.

  "Luke... You joined us. You have to completely side with us or the emperor will kill you," Anakin adds, "and he isn't a big lover of rebels."

"I don't know. They are my friends! I never wanted to do this, and now they're going to die anyways... Did I make the right choice?" Luke questions. "Would death be better than this?

"No. You make the right choice. You spared your own life and your friends lives for a few more weeks. You have to complete your training and completely join the dark side to secure your safety. The emperor won't make a move until then... And then, you might be able to take him down before he destroys them all."

"How can I? I don't know if there is enough darkness in me to fill a Wampa," Luke grumbles, taking another bite of his apple.

"You'll learn..." Anakin says mysteriously.

"Really? Cliff hangers suck, dad. You should know that by now," Luke remarks.

Everything is quiet as they eat their fruit thoughtfully before Anakin speaks again.

"Luke... Did you know how I turned to the dark side?" Anakin asks.

"No."

"Do you want me to show you?"

"How? How would you show me that? That must have been 20 years ago by now," Luke guesstimates

"The force works in mysterious ways, Luke. In your dreams tonight, you will see. I was brought here because of a lie, and now there is no going back. I was lied to by the emperor. He gave me visions of your mother dying in childbirth. He made me think that I could save her, but only from a sith's teachings. I didn't really know that he was lying back then," Anakin reveals with a loud sigh.

"That's horrible!" Luke cries, almost choking on his food.

"Yes. In reality, he was the one to kill her. He stabbed me, almost killed me, and then sucked the life out of her to 'save me'."

"That... won't happen to me... will it?" Luke asks nervously, instantly thinking about Leia and his friends.

"I don't think so."

     The rest of the day passes by quickly. As soon as they finished their food, Anakin lead them back to the training room. Luke had to spend the rest of the day testing his force abilities, every once in a while dropping something on Anakin to make sure he was still awake.