Gioba

"Happy Birthday to me." 15 year old Gioba murmured to herself.
Here she sat on her bed in her dull room celebrating or rather mourning her birthday in silence and solitude. No one really cared about her existence not more her birthday. The one person that really cared was her Aunt Fiona, who got her a cellphone for her last birthday, and now Gioba cherishes it with her life ever since Aunt Fiona died of breast cancer six months ago.
As for the rest of Gioba's family, they pretty much didn't care. Her mum, Ciara was a drug addict when Gioba was five and it later drove her mad the year Gioba turned eight. Two years later, Fiona's father, George or Papa married another woman called Yolanda who just hates Gioba's guts.
When Yolanda aka Yola Witch came into their home, she weakened the love between father and daughter. Papa cared less and less of Gioba as long Yolanda kept on badmouthing her. Gioba always wished
Yolanda would die or turn at like her mother in the psychiatric hospital.

Bam! Bam!

Oh no! Yola Witch was back to disturb Gioba's peace! She really didn't have time for Yolanda's crap but she had to or she'll be hearing from Papa. Gioba walks up to her door in frustration, opens it and to her surprise sees Yolanda smiling and holding a cake that had Happy Birthday on it.
Was it the end of the world?

Confused, Gioba asked, "For me?"

"Of course Gigi. I want to turn a new leaf so I thought I'd start by being nice to you." Yolanda said as she stretched out her hands to give Gioba the cake. Gioba hated it when Yolanda called her Gigi. Only Me and Aunt Fiona called her that.

"Um, thanks." Gioba replied,"but why-"

In an instant, Yolanda's smile vanished and an evil grin appeared. Yola immediately started screaming, "How dare you! I try to be nice and you insult me? George! Honey! Come quick!"

She should have known. This was one of Yolanda's witchcraft on Papa. Papa came running to Gioba's room.

"What is it Yola, my love?" Papa asked.

"I try to be nice to Gigi,"she starts crying,"by baking her this cake for her birthday, but she insults me. She called me a witch and a whore and she didn't even bother to say thank you."

"Gioba! Apologize!" Papa said

"Really Papa! You won't even listen to my side of the story. I didn't -"

"SHUT UP AND APOLOGIZE!"

No point arguing. Papa would never listen. "I'm sorry Yola."

"As a punishment, no phone for the next two months!"

"What?!

Papa turned to Yolanda as if she was an injured puppy and asked, "Are you alright Yola?"

"I'm okay George."

With that, Papa left leaving the ladies behind. Yola faced Fiona disgusted and then laughed.
"Listen here brat! First of all, do you think I care about you or your trashed birthday?" Yolanda asked with a grimace.

"Second of all, I'm off to party with some friends and I don't need your blabbermouth. If George asks you where I went, you better tell him that I went to console a friend of mine that lost her husband. Got that?"

"Just die and go to hell witch,"Gioba replied.

Yolanda slammed the door in Fiona's face.
Well thank goodness Yola witch was gone! Finally Gioba had some freedom for the next few hours while Yolanda went strip clubbing in broad daylight.

Yes, Yolanda was a married woman and a whore, but would Papa believe Gioba if she told him that? No! The time she tried to tell Papa something bad about Yolanda, she got slapped and starved for three days. No way was she going down that road again. Papa always treasured Yolanda more than she, so there was nothing Gioba could do to make herself seem more worthy than Yolanda in his eyes. Anything that Yola witch told him, he'd succumb to it even if it meant forgetting his only kid's birthday. However, Gioba didn't give a crap about Papa or Yolanda. Besides Yola Witch couldn't beat her up anymore, ever since Aunt Fiona taught her Karate.

Gioba left her room. It was time for her to leave the house and get some fresh air and freedom in the outside world. Thank God! Papa was asleep since she could hear snoring. Free