Jonathan

"Happy Birthday Jonathan!!" screamed Mom, Dad and Joan, his 10 year old younger sister. Jonathan woke up surrounded by his family with all cheers. Mom held a birthday cake with a picture of him playing baseball in 8th grade. It also had an inscription that read, I'm Jo and I'm 14.
"Men, I love you guys!" Jonathan said with excitement and hugged each one of them.

"Well Jo, you're one year closer to your grave." Joan said with a grin. Jonathan's smile vanished. That was quite awkward but totally expected from someone like Joan.
Mom gave Joan a questioning look and said, "Watch your mouth, young lady."

"But Mom, it's a fact. The older you get, the closer to the grave you are."

"Well you don't tell that to a birthday celebrant." Dad said, "Don't mind her son. It's your birthday, a time to celebrate life not think of how close you are to death. "

"Anyways we got you a birthday present." Mom said changing the subject,"but it's in California."

Jonathan and Joan looked at each other and asked simultaneously,"What's it doing in California?"

"Well,"Dad smiled, "we're going to visit Pa and Ma in California!"

"Yeah!" Jonathan said

"No!" Joan cried.

Pa and Ma Trenton were Jonathan and Joan's grandparents or rather Dad's parents. They lived in California. Joan dislikes them because she considers them weird and wrinkly, however, Jonathan loves them because they are terrific in spoiling their grandchildren with gifts and money.

"Alright then, get dressed and freshen up because we're leaving quite soon." Mom said.

A few minutes later, Dad and Mom are ready for the trip. Dad gets the Trenton Family van up and ready. Joan was already set with a horror novel to keep her busy for the trip. Meanwhile, Jonathan had just come out of the shower.

"Hurry up Jo! We don't have all day." Joan called from the backseat of the car. Everyone was geared up ready to go on the road trip to visit Pa and Ma Trenton in California but here Jonathan was wasting their time. After wasting time in the shower,He'd gone back to the house three times to get his laptop, lucky baseball cap and hair comb. Jonathan never goes anywhere without his hair comb.

"I'll be right there. I just wanna get my headphones." Jonathan replied and ran back to the house. Again.

He dashed to his room and scurried through his drawers and piles of clothes.
"Come on. Come on. Where are you?" Jonathan said as he searched. He checked on his bed and under.
"Ah thank God! There you are." Jonathan said as he took his headphones from under the bed.
"Time to hit the road." Jonathan said and jogged out of his room to meet his family.

"Jo we're leaving now. You better catch up!" That was Mom. He looked out of a window nearest to the driveway and they were actually leaving! No way were they leaving him here.

Jonathan ran out of the house shouting, "I'm here! I'm here!"

They were already on the road but he could meet up besides Dad was driving slowly. This was going to be the best birthday ever. Everything was put into place. But no one ever suspected that this would happen to him.

No one saw the fast driving truck from a distance. Not him, not Mom, not Dad and not even cautious Joan. And just like that the truck crashed into the Trenton Family Van with full speed right in front birthday boy. The Trenton van somersaulted and bounced twice and the engine caught fire.
With the shock in his eyes, he ran into the scene.
"DAD! MOM!! JOAN!" he cried as he got to the van. But there was no response, all he could see was blood and broken glass.
Jonathan got on his knees beside the van and let his agony out.
Nearby neighbors called 911 and one would hear a lot of noise from the sirens as an ambulance approached. Jonathan couldn't hear anything; neither could he see since the tears blurred his vision.
This wasn't the best birthday in fact he wished he'd never been born to experience this.